cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Master socket to router

rbbrown2448
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Hi

I want to run a long cable from my master socket to my router to an external wall via my roof space and through the wall to terminate with a new slave socket and from there a short cable to my router. Can anyone advise me whether this is advisable or whether there is a more sensible alternative. Any advice would be much appreciated 

Regards Roger 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

rbbrown2448
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Thanks. That sounds the best idea . Thanks for your help 

Regards Roger 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

Hi @rbbrown2448 

One possibility if these devices are all going to be close together at the destination, is to run one Ethernet cable (not sure how long this would need to be, the max limit is 100M), then connect a small gigabit data switch (normally around £15 - £20) to it. Then run individual Ethernet cables to your devices. I would recommend Cat 6 Ethernet cable for the long run particularly,  as depending on what router you have, this should be running at Gigabit speeds. However, if you can wait, I would do what @ferguson suggests and go for full fibre if you can.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Do you have any additional suggestions please?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 4 of 6

Hi thanks for your response. I was thinking about putting my router close to the master socket and running an Ethernet cables to my devices. Problem is I have three Ethernet connections from my router to devices and  can't slip them between a newly fitted carpet edge and skirting. Therefore the more complicated route. Any thoughts. I have a sender but only one Ethernet outlet 

Regards Roger 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

With the coming retirement of the copper-based network that seems like a very complicated process for what can only be a short-term solution. If you want a wired network in your home then look to an ethernet solution. 

0 Likes