cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Modem seems to be rebooting in a loop

vrooze
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

Hi

Since the early hours of this morning my router (black one with orange "dots") has got itself into a boot-loop.

It powers up, blinks amber for about 30seconds, blinks amber and white a few times, reboots and repeats ad nauseam.

I was working from home and had to move into the office because of this. However, before I left I tried leaving it offline for a period and powering back on to no avail.

I'm an IT tech myself so I did some basic tests before migrating into the office.

A rolling ping to the unit results in a period of timeouts, a period of normal ping responses (and being able to access the GUI) then timeouts again. It seems to be responsive for a minute or so tops before repeating the behaviour.

I tried to get into the modem logs but the time it takes to login and open the URL its already started its reboot cycle so not a great deal I could pull from it other than its "discovering new devices on the network".

The line test from my account suggests the link from you guys is OK, I think it's the modem itself being a pest.

Anything I've missed that could be tried?

- Mark

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17
0 Likes

vrooze
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 17

Seems to be working pretty stable.

I'll put the (new)  router in the back with  the charger etc and send it back.

- Mark

Message 3 of 17

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear it's working. Yes please return the new one in the returns bag if the old one is now working OK

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Chris

3 factory resets later (I backed up and restored my old config first 2) and it's back online.

As you suspected the  version is  `SG4K100130`

@Debbie-TalkTalk this Sagemcom one post triple factory reset is synced at DS: 67.3 Mbit/s & US: 17.8 Mbit/s.

That Huawei one _is_ a lot slower.

I'm going to keep this running for a couple of days after manually setting it back up and if it works call it a botched FOTA with the config.

Assuming it works OK, do you want me to return the new one in the returns bag?

Mark

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi Mark,

If your Sagemcom has firmware version ends in 130 then it was probably pushed out recently

I look forward hearing how you get on with the reset

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Chris

To be completely honest, no. I assumed since it went south during the night with no human interaction (from my side at least) that the issue was with the device (I work with openwrt based router devices for my day job so I guess I'm a little quick on the draw on hardware issues).

What I did notice however is the device stays online (as in powered with no RJ11) for a good period of time. I powered it up to see if I could grab as much as the config as I could off it. However connecting the RJ11 immediately starts the boot loop.

Was there a firmware OTA push from you side recently?

I'll factory reset it as soon as I don't need my connection for work purposes and feed back.

Mark

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

)Hi Mark,

Could I just ask, did you try factory resetting your Sagemcom router? (Restore your router to factory settings - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 17

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk @vrooze 

This is a bug with the DG8041W that you cannot port forward these particular ports. I raised this via Karl to the Products Team a while ago.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Debbie

I get consistent packet-loss with the GeforceNow service I use and the connection speed has dropped from a consistent 60+ Mbit (I'm pretty sure it  used to sit in the 65-75 range).

I've search these forums and there seems to be a good few people complaining about the same port mapping issues with the Huawei router. Both the 443 and 80 are in use by the device itself so can't be forwarded and that you can map internal port ranges but not external port ranges.

Thanks!

Mark

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 53.7mb. Is the connection dropping out?

@KeithFrench - have you experienced any issues with port forwarding with the Huawei WIFI hub?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Yes I've taken it off for over 30mins.

My master socket has a built in microfilter so I can't even blame those.

Seems like I've just dropped 20Mb which, ironically, is exactly a 33.3% decrease from the 75Mb I used to get.

The port forwarding is a big issue though as It interferes with my internal infrastructure and I can't simple remap ports SSL/HTTPS.

Worst case I might have to get hold  of an Openreach/vdsl2 modem and handle the routing part myself. It seems a shame though as the Sagecom router was doing totally fine till it gave up the ghost.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi Mark

Can I just check, have you powered down the new router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test?

0 Likes

vrooze
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 17

Hi Debbie

To report back the new modem arrived and does "work" but has a few issues.

1. I seem to have lost 20Mb - The old Sagecom one (rather than the Huawei I received) connected at 75Mb this is 55Mb; and I don't seem to be able to coerce that 20Mb back out of it.

2. I cannot forward ports 80 and 443 which I use for a tool and cant be remapped in the tool.

3. I cannot port forward port ranges which makes it very time consuming to forward ports one at a time.

So whilst I'm glad I so have a connection back. The issues are somewhat damning.

Is there any change of a replacement router that has these features or even possibly a dumb modem I can bridge into a local router so I can maintain my infrastructure at home?

Thanks

Mark

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi Mark

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

vrooze
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Hi Debbie,

That would be awesome!

I totally rely on my connection to work from home so that would probably be the quickest way to solve it.

Thanks!

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi Mark

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests have not detected any faults. Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes