cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No port forwarding on Fast 5364 - 3. T8 Router

barnesbj
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

I have raised issues with the Talk Talk helpdesk, however, they seem incapable of understanding the issue I am raising. I manage a remote site and have used an old Talktalk router for many years, with a number of cameras, a network recorder, and other devices accessible via WAN from my home location. We have a static IP address on the broadband line so we don't need to use dyndns, just the static IP address for access. The old router has allowed port forwarding and all works as expected.

I have now been sent a new router, a Fast Fast 5364 - 3. T8 Router, I have installed the router and it works as expected apart from steadfastly refusing to allow port forwarding or setting DMZ. I follow all the instructions (I found a handbook on line to make sure it was not something I was doing incorrectly) but I only get a red band with a message on the lines of "operation could not complete, something wrong happened".

This is a problem that others have raised on numerous occasions over some months but as yet there seems to be no satisfactory solution. Suggestions mainly suggest wrong firmware, GUI software, or similar issues. I've also noted that in the Device Infor section NAT is shown as Disabled in the network section. 

Has anyone come up with a solution or is it down to potluck requesting a replacement router and hoping it has the correct firmware etc.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

barnesbj
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 1 of 10

Keith, once again, many thanks for your help.

I am more than happy to resolve any issues relating to my network issues and understand the limits of the support an ISP can supply. Your points above are noted. Thanks again.

Best wishes

Barry

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 10

Any ISP can provide basic support on their broadband & supplied routers etc. It is down to them to get any problems with the router resolved. Yes, there was a bug in that router that I found and reported to them & the manufacturer fixed it in a very early update. You are now on a much later version. The firmware update process is basically fully automatic.  By the sounds of it, it did update automatically for your router (as far as I remember you did not say when you got this router). Once they connect it to the line, most people will find it automatically updates within 24 - 48 hours. If not, they can always request it be done manually via this forum. 

This Community was set up to help customers not just via the TalkTalk support staff on it, but also by any other Community member.

What an ISP cannot be expected to do is to provide technical support on your end to end scenario that requires port forwarding, this is where I can help. Whilst only being a TalkTalk customer, I have a good knowledge of most aspects of IP networking, having worked in a 3rd level technical support role for a very large comms company. I offer my experience to any other TalkTalk customers free of charge.

I have no idea if all ISPs have this sort of help, because the basic rule is if their equipment & broadband is functioning correctly, then it is down to you to resolve the problem, or you have to pay some IT company to fix it for you. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

barnesbj
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 3 of 10

Update

Keith, thanks once again for your help. I've logged onto the router and it has been updated and port forwarding now works as per the instruction manual. I am very appreciative of your help and assistance to resolve this issue, however, I am disappointed that you, not an employee of TalkTalk appear to be the only channel I could find to solve this problem. I have wasted hours online with Talktalk, alleged technical support, and been unable to resolve the problem until your intervention. Thanks once again, not sure if I will renew my Talktalk contract when it is up for renewal.

0 Likes

barnesbj
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

Keith, thank you for your help with this. Is there anything I need to now do in order to progress your request to update the firmware within Talktalk? Do you know if anyone in TalkTalk will be in touch with me or who I need to contact?

Best wishes

Barry

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 10

No, I can't because I am just a customer. Please make sure that your community profile is up to date, as that will save you time.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

barnesbj
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Keith, that would be brilliant, thank you. can you manage my expectations regarding timescale for the update, please?

Barry

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 10

That is the original firmware from years ago. I will ask TalkTalk to update it for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Keith, thanks for the prompt response. When I look at the Devise Info section, the hardware version is Fast5364 3.00, the software version is SG4K1100014 and the GUI version is 4.58.2, and the firmware version is SG4K1100014.

Can you advise if this combination is the probable cause of the lack of port forwarding capability and if so what action should I take?

Many thanks for your help

Barry

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Are you running firmware V136 by any chance? There seems to be an issue with V136 & hardware V3.00 that causes this problem. I have one with V4.00 hardware plus V136 firmware & it is fine. I have made the TalkTalk products team aware of this problem. If you have V136, then I will ask the TalkTalk support on here to pick your case up & deal with it for you.

Keith

0 Likes