cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Replacement router - internet speed

WestyD
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

Replacement router has arrived and my internet connection is now stable (and not continually dropping off). My internet speed has now dropped to 18 - 10 mbps. Previously the old router was providing 23 -25 mbps. Can you:

1. Update the router firmware to the latest version

2. Tweak the router settings to  achieve the previous speeds.

The connection to the house has shown to be capable of 25 mbps

Cheers

Dave Westlake Education Consultant
0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi WestyD

I'm glad to hear that the connection has remained stable.

The line is in sync at 20mb. Did the engineer advise if they reset DLM? 

0 Likes

WestyD
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 19

Hi Debbie,

Connection has been perfect, no drop off at all. The new router has solved that problem. Engineer tested the socket and it was showing 34 mbps. I have tried moving the router around to different points in the house but it still only giving 18 -20 mbps. No problems found with the internal network.

Its stable and always connects so that is a definite improvement.

Thanks for asking

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Hi WestyD

How has the connection been since the engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 19

Hi WestyD

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 12/02 PM (1pm -6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 5 of 19

Hi WestyD

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

No problem with an engineer visit as the only thing that has changed is the new router. Strange how the old router was giving 23 - 25 mbps and was constantly dropping off, the new router is giving 18 - 20 mbps but is providing  a stable connections. The outages you were seeing was probably me switching off the router for 30 - 1 hour to get it to establish a new connection (as recommended by on one of the reply posts). I am aware that the BT engineer might incur a cost, however there is a history of problems with the feed to the property (despite this being a relatively new build), I'm very confident the problem lies with either the hardware you have supplied or the BT line in

Thanks for you help with this matter

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi WestyD

I've checked again and I can still see re connections on the line so the connection must be dropping and this will affect the speed.

If you have tested with 2 different routers at the test socket then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

The connection is stable now, its just slower than the previous router which was 23 - 25 mbps, but is now 18-20 mbps. The only change in the system has been the router. Is there anything you can do about this?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi WestyD

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed has dropped to 18.1mb.

There are re connections showing on the line. Is the connection still dropping?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Hi WestyD

Perfect, thank you 🙂

I will post back on this thread on Wednesday once I've checked the connection stats.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Hi Debbie,

All done router now connected to the test socket and ready for testing 🙂

Message 12 of 19

Thank you for taking the time to reply 🙂

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi WestyD

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be ok to connect the router at the test socket and then leave it connected for 48hrs (without rebooting the router)

I can then check the connection stats again on Wednesday to see if DLM has made any changes to the line/profile speed.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Hi Debbie,

Connection is now stable and not disconnecting anymore. I did leave over an hour before installing the new router and I have repeated this since. Yes the connection speed seems to be between 18 - 20 mbps, this is down on the old router which delivered 23 -25mbps. Is there anything you can do about this? You changed the master socket coming into the property about 2 years ago and the engineer tested the incoming line which was showing 25mbps, so its defo a router issue.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Hi WestyD

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

Your router has the latest firmware version. I have checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 20.5mb.

Is the connection still dropping as I can see re connections on the line on 05/02? Or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 16 of 19

Hi @WestyD,

The staff here probably won't be around until Monday now, however your new router should auto update to the latest firmware overnight within the first few nights of being connected.

If you have switched between different types of router did you leave over 30 minutes between switching the old router off and the new router on ?. If not, if would be a good idea to switch your new router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will connect to a brand new session in the street cabinet. If you swapped routers without leaving over 30 minutes 'down time' then your new router may well have reconnected to the session that was originally created by your old router, this can often mean the new router does not perform at its best possible speeds.

The staff here will also be able to respond next week to assist further if required.

If your old router was dropping connection a lot, this could also trigger the Openreach DLM system to reduce your speed in an attempt to stabilise your connection, if this is the case your speed should increase again within 48 / 72 hours if your connection now remains stable (it is fine to switch the router off for over 30 minutes to test the theory I mentioned above, as long as you leave it switched off for over 30 minutes the DLM system is clever enough to not count that as a dropped connection).

WestyD
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

Profile updated with phone number and email address as requested

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 19

Hi WestyD

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your name and TalkTalk landline number, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes