cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router reboots whenever I connect via Wi-Fi to my laptop

loliverdun
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

I've been having this issue for a few months now. Whenever I connect my laptop to my router via Wi-Fi, it causes the router to completely reboot. This doesn't happen on any other device and it also works fine on my laptop if I use an ethernet cable. The online support chat hasn't really been much help. Any help would be appreciated 😁

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 11

Hi loliverdun,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 11

That all looks fine thanks. Have you tried connecting to any other WiFi with this WiFi adapter, as it is looking like it could be the culprit? What about your other devices that connect OK to your WiFi, are they connected to the 2.4 or 5GHz WiFi band? Your router should tell you this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 11

Within Windows (assuming Windows 11, but Windows 10 is very similar) please go to:-

Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi

Then get a screenshot of this section of the display:-

WiFi SettingsWiFi Settings

Whilst I have blurred my data, please do not do this on yours, otherwise it will be of no use to me. I would suggest that you PM me this screenshot to preserve your privacy, otherwise anyone will be able to see it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

I'm not even sure how I'd do that so I just misunderstood your question. I've never messed around with the IP address

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 11

That IP address is the router's one. If you have configured your WiFi adapter to use a static IP address  of 182.168.1.1, I am not in the slightest bit surprised that you are having this problem. You must never do that.

Please reconfigure it to use a dynamically assigned address via DHCP.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Pretty much within 30 seconds of me connecting to the WiFi

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

I'm pretty sure it's a static IP address. There's one listed on the back of the router if that's what that would mean. I didn't used to have this issue so I don't really know why it started happening

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Morning,

Thanks @KeithFrench glad to see that you're back 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Sorry for the delay in picking this one up, I have been totally locked out of the forum, with no account recovery possible until just now.

Hi @loliverdun 

How is your WiFi card set up in respect of IP address allocation, is it dynamic via DHCP or do you have a static IP address configured on the WiFi adapter?

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. At what point does the router reboot?

@KeithFrench - Have you ever come across this before?

Thanks

Michelle