cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Speend and connection issues after recontracted last week

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 30

Hi all

I recontracted last week ever somce my internet is disconnecting and running slow all the time. It was fine previously and i was getting 60+ mbps but now nothing like that and drop outs all the time.

Is this supposed to happen after recontracting?

Thank you 

Philip
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

Hi,

Ah I'm glad to hear that and hopefully Arne will be able to get to the bottom of this for you.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 30

Morning Michelle,

Thanks for the information, i think i just have to wait a bit longer and he will chase up for me. 

Thank you for checking in on me, this community is a big reason why i recontracted to you 🤗. Have a nice day and also thanks to everyone involved.

Philip

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 30

I'll move your other topic, @phils5887, to the billing section. It'll be easier for staff to keep track of it, but we'll probably need to re-escalate it at the end of the month.

Arne-talktalk has already replied on there.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 30

Morning,

Thanks for the update. In regard to the voucher, if you've created a separate topic in the My Account and Billing section then our Billing expert Arne will be able to look into this further for you.

Thanks 🙂

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 30

Hi All

Thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate it.

I haven't had an issue in recent days and great speeds using 5Hz on the firestick so i am happy.  I still haven't receieved the voucher i was promised when recontracting but i presume in too eager? I made another post about this.

Thank you to all involved 

Philip
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 30

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 30

Does your analyser have a Signal Strength/Time graph, that would be useful to see this for each of your two SSIDs next time? Other than that, there is not much I can comment on until I know about the HP Direct SSID & you have been able to experiment with the router location.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 30

Hi @phils5887 

I'll have a look at the screenshots this afternoon. The reason to move to channel 11 is that you share channel 1 with an HP Direct SSID that is of a very similar signal strength. You need a minimum of 20dB separation between two signals on the same channel.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 30

Pdf attached 

Philip
0 Likes

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 30

Hi Keith

Lots of information there for me to take in. It's been great since i had this router in 2020. The reason for replacement was because it was acting weird and this replacement sorted it.

The router is pretty close to it just through one wall. The signal strength as you mention has dropped significantly, back in the summer i could use the firestick in the garden not so now. What would cause this to change? 

So far today though i havn't had a drop out. Currently using the 5hz connection seems faster to me?

I will try to send a file across with more details on.

Whats wrong with channel 1? For the 2.4hz ? There are other networks on 11?

Kind regards 

Philip
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 30

HI @phils5887 

Next time you send screenshots from your analyser, please can you include the AP view as well as the signal strength/time graph? Thanks very much.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 30

Thanks, @phils5887 for them. You could try moving the router to channel 11 in the 2.4GHz band. Do you have an HP printer also on channel 1, if so it would be very beneficial to disable Wi-Fi direct on that & connect it to the router & print through that.

Your signal strength is rather low, so I suspect this might be an issue with the location of the router or firestick.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith

0 Likes

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 30

Hi all,

Its only my phone and the 4k stick which is 6 months old that get used via WiFi 

Keith i have taken some screen shots. I also have forced the firestick onto 5hz and its the same one minute its ok next the speed just drops out. It will come back sporadically though.

I will try to add files but it keeps saying wrong format.

The analyser was done about a metre from the stick.

Thank you all

Philip
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 30

Did you run the analyser near the firestick? If you want to include the screenshots from it I'll see what I can find. Which band is the firestick trying to use?

Keith

Message 16 of 30

Hi phils5887

Are any other wireless devices dropping speed?

0 Likes

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 30

Hi

I have manually selected the channels which are the best as suggested on wifi analyzer.

Interestingly speeds are great on my phone using 5hz or 2

4hz now however my firestick 4k version seems to be all over the place as it was before. I presume this must be a fault with the firestick then?

I am getting nearly 60mbps on my phone and but regularly the amazon stick keeps dropping to very low speeds.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Philip
0 Likes

Message 18 of 30

Hi phils5887

The WIFI optimisation has been switched off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

phils5887
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 30

Morning,  yes please

This just means the channel the router picks, correct?

I did analyse my local wifi  and selected recommended channels but it reverts back to channel 1 for 2.4hz and 36 for 5hz.

Kind regards 

Philip
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 30

Morning,

Just to confirm, would you like us to switch off the wifi optimisation?

Thanks