cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Unable to acces specific web site

ChemWizzo
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

I am unable to connect to one specific website using my TalkTalk router;

https://retail.santander.co.uk/

The error comes up as ‘This site can’t be reached.  retail.santander.co.uk took too long to respond.’

I use Google Chrome as my main browser

My internet connection is fine as I am able to connect to any other website.

The issue is not with Santander as I am able to connect to the site using another ISP (eg my neighbours BT wifi or with my phone using O2 mobile data.)

I have tried restarting the router – no effect

I have tried clearing cache and cookies – no effect

I have tried turning TalkTalk ‘Scam protection’ off via ‘My account’ – no effect

I have tried using another browser (Edge) – no effect, same problem.

I have tried using another device that I don’t usually use (my wife’s phone and laptop) – same problem – site does not connect.

As this is my main online banking site it would be good to find a solution to this problem!

Can you help?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi again,

Thanks for the update. I didn't make any changes. It's possible that the session was broken so powering down the router for a full 30 minutes will clear the current session and starts a new one. If this does happen again then please let us know.

Thanks

Michelle

ChemWizzo
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

Hi Michelle, 

Yes, seems to now connect after switching router off for 30mins!

(Works on my phone now, will try my PC later)

Did you change something at your end?

If it happens again what should I do?

Thanks again,

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 9

Morning,

How are you getting on? Are you still unable to access this site? Did you also try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes as this will reset the current session?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 4 of 9

Here's the advice about running a Trace Route / Traceroute / Tracert and or a server ping test to see if the remote website is responding.

You've already done most of the checks. The diagnosis is that the failure is with your TalkTalk broadband connection. What router do you use? Not using a VPN such as a home worker connection or a VPN bundled with Internet security?

Do you use the Rapport security product that Santander encourage you to use? Sometimes this does need reinstalling when an update goes wrong. 

Let us know if you need further assistance.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

ChemWizzo
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

Sorry, you're losing me - I'm not an IT expert! I did see something about 'DNS' in some settings somewhere - might this be an issue that I need to change on my machine?

Not sure what a Tracert is or how to get one!

Thanks for trying to help.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

I can access via the TalkTalk DNS so there's not a DNS issue.  The site Certificate is good so no problem there.

Maybe the request is getting lost via the route between your broadband access point and the Santander site?  Have you tried a Tracert / Trace Route?

0 Likes

ChemWizzo
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

No, I just shortened the address in my original post, I use the above redirect address - still no joy!

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

The login redirect on the Santander website is: https://retail.santander.co.uk/olb/app/logon/access/#/logon

Does that get you where you wanted to be?

0 Likes