cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Using a TP Link TD-W9970 in modem mode with an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X

vext01
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 2

Hi,

I'm having a nightmare of a time setting up a TP Link TD-W9970 in modem mode with an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X on my TalkTalk Fibre 65 connection.

I can get the TP Link modem working as a router (i.e. *not* modem mode) using the pre-canned config for talktalk that the setup wizard offers, but I've not managed to get modem mode to the edgerouter working.

The only info I have from talktalk is this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

I've tried all kind of things, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could confirm a) if the Fibre65 package is in fact considered a Fibre broadband connection (that would use plain old DHCP) or non-fibre broadband (which would require PPPoE).

If anyone else here has ever gotten an edgerouter working, I'd be really grateful for some help.

What I thought would work:

- Set up TP Link modem into "bridge" operation (a.k.a. modem mode) with VLAN tag 101.

- Connect edgerouter to WAN port of modem using either PPPoE or plain DHCP (tried both).

(When the TP Link modem was working as a router (not modem mode), I never gave it any credentials...)

Thanks

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

If you set the TP-Link to Bridge Mode it will never work, it needs to be in modem mode. Bridge mode disables all routing functions & no IP traffic will be able to go from your private IP network out to the public IP network of the internet. 

You can use your supplied TalkTalk router, still as a router in place of the TP-Link and just connect it to your other router. The TT one must be on a different IP network to your other router though & disable the TT's WiFi. You can probably do the same with the TP-Link, but I do not know this model. True, this creates a double NAT environment, but this is only an issue if you want to use port forwarding. Even then it is not difficult to configure.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes