cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Issues with VPN

JSCL24
Team Player
Private Message
Message 54 of 54

Hi i'm having the same issues as many others with connecting a work VPN like https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/VPN-issue/m-p/2923183#M844992

I have changed laptops, restarted the router, removed everything else from the network, separated SSIDs, held IP addresses, everything - any time I connect the VPN, it almost stops the internet and laptop running simple tasks but can still access websites. 

Was on the phone to TalkTalk support but they hung up!

0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

Message 1 of 54

Hi JSCL24

I'm sorry to hear this. If there is anything else that we can help with on the Community then please let us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 54

Sorry I thought i'd replied. It is on the medium setting.  My contract is coming to an end in a month so we're leaving TalkTalk. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 54

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 54

Hi JSCL24

Please can you try changing the firewall level in the router settings to medium?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 54

I'm having to tether from my phone because TalkTalk have failed to resolve this. Ridiculous. 

0 Likes

JSCL24
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 54

Hello i'm still having major issues with this. Windows Explorer is crippled because the internet won't allow a connection to VPN through SonicWall NetEXtender. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 54

Morning,

This is the test socket. Has the router always been connected here? What speeds are you seeing at the moment if you run a wired speed test?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 54

There is no test socket 

DBA64888-8AA4-4EF5-B5A1-138567763507.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 9 of 54

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. This may be the re-connections that I can see. If the main socket does have a test socket, then it would be worth testing the microfilter and router directly at the test socket and retesting to see if this is still happening.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 54

The router was switched back to the old one at the start of the week, and then the new one a couple of days ago so you could test it, that's all. There may be a test socket as it's a standard BT Openreach socket, I can look this evening. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 54

Hi,

I've run a test on the line now which is clear. The sync speed looks consistent however, I can see some re-connections on the line. Are you rebooting the router at all? Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 54

The problems with speed are intermittent - and the line has a tendency to drop out, losing connection, but the new router was particularly slow initially (screenshot below). If the line cuts out a lot maybe this is the issue?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 54

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, we only have the one router that we can send. I've spoken to my colleagues about this, but the VPN should work with this router and this particular firmware so it's strange that this is not working. I have just re-read through your topic and noticed that you mention that you have also experienced issues with the speed. Are you still experiencing issues with the connection that is separate to the VPN issue?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 54

Hi Michelle I have had several multiple hour conversations with IT where they look at the system to try to resolve it however it is not an issue with other ISP’s only Talk Talk (same with another colleague). Is there a different type of router available? 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 54

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that your VPN is still not working. Have you been in contact with your IT department to see if they can offer any additional advice? Just to advise, we don't block VPN and this new version of firmware does resolve specific VPN issues.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 54

@Karl-TalkTalk nope, doesn't work still. Infuriating! No other provider has these issues. Totally moving to another ISP.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 54

Hi

I've updated the router, try the VPN now.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 54

New router is on but the vpn is not working still 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 54

Hi

Glad all is working.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 20 of 54

Sorry technical issue (wrong cable!) it’s working now 

0 Likes