cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Issues with VPN

JSCL24
Team Player
Private Message
Message 54 of 54

Hi i'm having the same issues as many others with connecting a work VPN like https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/VPN-issue/m-p/2923183#M844992

I have changed laptops, restarted the router, removed everything else from the network, separated SSIDs, held IP addresses, everything - any time I connect the VPN, it almost stops the internet and laptop running simple tasks but can still access websites. 

Was on the phone to TalkTalk support but they hung up!

0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

Message 41 of 54

OK thanks. The only known VPN issue is with the 136 firmware for a small number of customers, the alternative firmware nearly always resolves the issue so I'm not sure why you are still experiencing problems. Which VPN client are you using?

Chris

Message 42 of 54

@Chris-TalkTalk it's absolutely infuritating, in the past hour it has crashed my computer twice, it is definitely a TalkTalk issue as it does not happen through other ISPs or tethering from mobile devices

0 Likes

Message 43 of 54

Hi Chris certain elements of the VPN work, but others are blocked. What it does is crash the performance of basic Windows functions, File Explorer, Outlook, etc. It seems to think there are conflicting computers too, which is impossible. What is odd is as per my edited reply below, that I cannot get on the router website when the VPN is running. Something on the router/ISP is blocking certain actions. 

0 Likes

Message 44 of 54

So when you connect to the VPN, you are able to connect but it's just running slowly?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 45 of 54

It's exactly the same - I cannot get on to the router's website itself with the VPN running

0 Likes

Message 46 of 54

Does there appear to be any difference following the firmware update or does appear to be exactly the same?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 47 of 54

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk I've done this now and the issue remains that certain parts of the VPN network are not accessible. 

0 Likes

Message 48 of 54

Hi JSCL24

Yes, please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest?

0 Likes

Message 49 of 54

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk yes i'm still experiencing the issue - though I haven't restarted my router - should I?

0 Likes

Message 50 of 54

Hi JSCL24

I can see that your router firmware has been updated. Are you still experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 54

Yes, that does have issues with certain VPN clients, most notably the Windows 10/11 inbuilt VPN clients. The TalkTalk support can offer you an alternative version that should work fine. I will ask them to do this for you when they return after the weekend.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

JSCL24
Team Player
Private Message
Message 52 of 54

I have a Sagecom Wifi Hub

Software version SG4K100136

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 53 of 54

Thanks for starting your own topic. Can you just advise which router you have and which software version it is running? Subject to that the support team will pick this up as soon as they can when they are back online from Monday. 

0 Likes