cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

can't do line test, speed is super low

Kirst2000
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 24

Hey, 

So my download speeds have been shockingly low for a while, ran a speed test today and its <1. It suggested I do a line test, but then couldn't do it for some reason and me being fairly weak on tech know how am now stuck. 

I am the only person using my connection, so its not overuse, my flat is tiny so its not a case of distance and I can't seem to find the talk to TalkTalk page. 

Horray!

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi Kirst2000

I can see that Openreach have now closed the fault.

Is everything working ok now?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I can see that the fault has been raised to Openreach, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

It is currently attached to the test socket, but the results haven't changed still tiny download speeds, for some reason my upload speeds are fine though, which strikes me as odd. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

The NTE 5c has a test socket under the master socket faceplate. Would you be able to connect the  router to the test socket and monitor to see if there's any improvement. Connecting to the test socket should eliminated any problems caused by the extension socket or the wiring to the extension socket

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Not at the moment, it was where my router used to live before it started playing up (it's much more convenient location, in the living room vs under my bed) but I plugged it into the main one after.  

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

OK thanks, do you have anything connected to it?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

There is another one, a super old looking non-nte.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Thanks. Is this the only telephone socket in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hiya, 

It's an NTE 5C 

Thank you 🙂 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Hi Kirsten,

Could you take a look at the following help article and let us know which master socket you have - Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Hello, 

I took a photo after moving the furniture, but it won't let me attach it as its the wrong file type or something, normally I would sort it from my laptop, but obviously without WiFi that isn't going to work.  

Thanks,  

Kirsten 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hello, 

I do, but unfortunately due to the hours I work and the location of my socket, moving the furniture to get to it to take a photo hasn't been viable. It looks ridiculously standard anyway, but I shall attempt to move it today. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Hi Kirst2000

Do you still need help with this?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Hi Kirst2000

Thanks for your reply.

The line test is still detecting a potential fault towards the property.

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket on this thread?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hello, 

The router arrived and I've set it up. Unfortunately it hasn't made any difference presumably, I can't get a speed test result at all now, but everything is still taking a long time to load so I am guessing its no better. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hi Kirst2000

No problem 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

Yes please, that sounds like a good idea, thank you 🙂

Message 19 of 24

Hi Kirst2000

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing first so we can rule this out?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Hello, I only have the one socket, so I am guessing that's the test socket. And I also don't have another router, so I can't try it with another one. 

Thank you 🙂

0 Likes