cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

CHANGES TO SECURITY SETTINGS NOT WORKING

Spring-Time
Team Player

Message 36 of 36

Hi Ady, I am experiencing exactly the same problem as fanisgain. 

Last week, my account was limited to webmail only and I can no longer access my emails via Outlook (I have subscribed to the Microsoft 365 range of Office software), and my android smart phone., which is a Samsung Galaxy.   

Strangely, my linked mailboxes on my account are unaffected by this change. and are working fine.

My email address is tiscali.co.uk and my operating system is Windows 11.

I was told by TalkTalk Customer Services to sign up to TalkTalk Mail Plus and everything would be restored, providing I change the server and port settings (which I have done).  But that has not worked.

As you have advised fanisgain, I have put my email address in the private notes area of my community profile, and would be very grateful if you could help me fix this issue please.

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

Message 1 of 36

Thank you Ady and apologies for my late response.  

The problem was caused by an outage, for reasons unknown, that affected a number of TalkTalk customers .  

I was only made aware of this when logging on to  https://downdetector.co.uk/status/talktalk/ where I could see that I was not alone and others were experiencing loss of email that day.

I am pleased to say that my email is now restored 

Message 2 of 36

Hi Spring-Time, all your mailboxes have full access. I would suggest that means your email settings may be incorrect. You'll find the correct settings on the Email Settings help page. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 36

Hi Ady,

Thank you for this update.

Unfortunately, I have a new problem this morning in that I am receiving an error message stating that my email domain name is invalid

I cannot send or receive emails via Outlook or TalkTalk Mail

Do you know why this is has happened please and can you urgently reinstate my email please?

Kind regards

0 Likes

Message 4 of 36

Hi Spring-time, I'm afraid the billing system is coping at all well with the mail billing system. Often new customers are unable to pay, register or create/delete new accounts. I don't have any expectation of that changing soon.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 36

Super!! Thanks Gondola - that will be very helpful

Message 6 of 36

I've asked the team to see if there are any back office notes on the MyAccount about MailPlus billing that they can advise you of so that you're kept in the picture. That'll be sometime from Monday onwards.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 7 of 36

Hi Gondola. 

I had set up a Direct Debit over the phone on 27 January 2023, and can also confirm that a payment has not been collected.  So it would seem that the the first year's payment has been waived as you say.   

I have not received the billing notification yet (I have just checked again), but presume, when this does arrive, it will confirm that payment was waived etc....

Thank you also for explaining the information about being a new customer on MyAccount.  I will ignore this going forward and will presume that I won't be able to use that function to change my payment due date.  I will directly contact the Support Team to do this.

Thank you again.

Message 8 of 36

Good to know that you have received a credit for £51.78. That would indicate a billing date for the annual Direct Debit of around 8 February. So, is the bank Direct Debit set up and has anything been taken? If there's been nothing taken from the Bank Direct Debit yet then I would say the first year's payment has been waived and the credit for the second year's payment made in advance.  That indicates to me that the agent has, as they explained, given you the first two years and a bit free of charge.

The same email address should receive notification of billing.

The information about being a new customer and waiting until your services are running is normal for a MyAccount that is not linked to active broadband services. Bear in mind that this MyAccount is still linked to the now disconnected broadband and possible TalkTalk TV services / TalkTalk Mobile service if you had either of those add ons.  Just ignore that as it's not relevant to TalkTalk MailPlus. 

Message 9 of 36

Hi Gondola,

I have checked again and see that I have received an automated welcome to MailPlus email sent on 27 January 2023.  So I was wrong in that part of my message above.

I do still wait to receive confirmation as to billing.  Particularly the arrangements that have been agreed in respect of deferred payments, and whether My Account is in fact the de facto MailPlus My Account.  

If TalkTalk cannot send an email in this regard, at the very least is it should be stated on the My Account  that this relates to MailPlus.  It has caused confusion with Support staff, with one advisor asking me to set up MailPlus, when I had done so already.. 

Having checked the My Account and Transaction History page again, it seems that I have limited access. For example, I clicked on 'change payment due date', and the following error occurred:

Unfortunately you won't be able to change your payment date just yet.
If you are new to TalkTalk please check back once your services are up and running.

I thought that my services were up and running.  Hopefully this will be clarified soon.  But thank you again for your help.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 36

Hi Gondola, 

Thank you for the update in respect of MailPlus.

I was not notified that MailPlus was a requirement in 2020.  It was only set up on 27 January 2023 following my main email address being switched to limited access.

I have just checked My Account Transaction History and can see that a credit was made to my account for -£51.78, which makes sense as this would represent the first of two annual deferred payments.  

This is reassuring, in part.  But, there is no mention that this credit is related to MailPlus, nor have I received any e-bill notification emails, or emails/letters to say that I have now subscribed to MailPlus.   

This would imply that my MailPlus account has been set up on trust, which doesn't fill me with confidence given my previous experiences with TalkTalk Support, (with the exception of yourself and Ady, who have provided wonderful support).

Hopefully, I will receive a response soon from the concerns@ email team to clarify this position.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 36

Good to know the settings on the iPhone and Laptop are both updated to the secure settings required for TalkTalk Mail.

Just to say that Ady did look at the MyAccount status and found only the former MyAccount for TalkTalk broadband that was disconnected in 2020. So, as that MyAccount still holds your email addresses in the Manage Mail, My Mailboxes area I'd assume the MailPlus bank Direct Debit and Billing would be associated with that MyAccount if MailPlus has been set up and is active.

Is there anything in the MyAccount Transaction History that might indicate there's been billing for MailPlus since 2020? i.e. £5 per month or £50 per annum being collected by Direct Debit?  You would also have received an e-bill notification email to the MyAccount email address.

Message 12 of 36

Hi Gondola 

I promised to update you about the remaining mailbox.  I have changed the settings on both the laptop and iPhone and both are now up and running.

Thank you very much for your help in resolving these issues. 

I now wait to hear from the concerns@ email team in respect of the status of my MailPlus account.

I will keep you updated with their response .  

Message 13 of 36

That's good to know.  Thanks for confirming.

It may be easier to leave it as is for now.  I have one free Mailbox that I can use if I need to.

Thanks again

Message 14 of 36

You won't be able to delete the entry from MyAccount as the delete process needs to find an active account on the TalkTalk Mail platform to be able to complete the delete function.  But TalkTalk Support can remove that address for you perhaps with authorisation from the Data Protection Team.

Message 15 of 36

Thanks again Gondola.  Both outcomes returned 'invalid' responses.

This makes sense as I have not accessed that particular account for far longer than 180 days.  I would say years.

All good.  I will delete that email address from My Mailboxes

I will make sure to update you about email no.1 (from the linked mailbox list).  I will look at that over the weekend.

I will also let you know the outcome of my MailPlus account query once I receive a response.

Very grateful for your help.

Message 16 of 36

Good to know that email #1 and email #2 are both now working using secure settings.

Are you sure that email #3 exists? The no domain message usually indicates an email address that has been deleted or that the email address you entered is not correct.

Mailboxes are flagged for deletion if the user doesn't sign in at least once every 180 days. The help page  Deleted Email error message explains more.

So first you'd check if the email address is still active. Send the email address a mail message and see if you get an immediate bounceback error message saying 'Undeliverable' that means the mailbox isn't active.

Then  enter the email address at Verifalia, an external website that verifies if an email address exists. Enter the email address, complete the reCAPTCHA and select the Validate button. Does the top line response say 'Deliverable' or something else?

Let us know the outcome in each case.

Message 17 of 36

Thank you Gondola, the settings for email no.2 have been updated now.

I will do try the same for the no.1 email address and let you know of any problems.

As promised, I have tried to access the no.3 email, but cannot remember the password, and have attempted to reset it via TalkTalk Mailboxes in my Account, but I have received the following error:   'The email address entered does not have a TalkTalk domain.  Please try again'

Do you know of another way that I can change this password please? 

Thank you again for your help.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 36

Good to know the first mailbox is back in action.

The out of date legacy settings for the other email addresses do need updating to use the talktalk.net host name.

When changing from legacy settings to the talktalk.net host servers this will involve accepting the new security certificate so just accept the certificate.  I'll set out the preferred method of setting up Outlook right here. You can remove the email account from Outlook and Add a new account or Change the account settings.

Go via the Advanced setup settings of an email profile, as in this example for Windows 10 or 11.

• Select the  Windows icon bottom left
  • Select the  Settings cog icon
  • Select Accounts
  • Select  Email & Accounts and for a first time setup select Add Account and enter the settings in the table
  • Or select the email account
  • Select Change account or double click on the email account

At that point on your device you ought to see the Outlook setup to enter the TalkTalk Mail server settings:

Supported Outlook 365 settings are:

Account Type  IMAP secure
Username Full TalkTalk email address
Password TalkTalk email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (Not SPA)

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Message 19 of 36

Hi Ady and Gondola,

Success!! The settings have been successfully updated on my email address and it is up and running.   I can view emails again in MS Outlook and my android smartphone.   Thank you for your assistance with this.

Unfortunately, I am still having difficulty updating the settings on the linked mailboxes.  I have listed all of the addresses in the 'private notes' section of My Settings.  You should see three linked email addresses.

Having tried to update the settings on the second address listed in 'private notes', I get an error message saying that 'something went wrong'

Emails for this address work fine with the current settings, which are as follows:

Incoming:  imap.tiscali.co.uk  - port 993

Outgoing: smtp.tiscali.co.uk - port 587

I will not be able to try and update the settings for the first email address on the list until the weekend, but suspect that we may run into the same problem.

Can you help with settings for the these addresses please?

(I have not tried updating third email address on the list, as I very rarely use this.  I will check though).

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 36

Hi Ady, I should clarify, that it shows as disconnected, but it is very much active.  I am still accessing this though webmail