cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Can't remember Webmail password and unable to reset either

Shabba71
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

Moved from TT to BT several years ago.

Wife's laptop is playing up and she can't login using her pin nor her TT email address & password.  If we try resetting the password all avenues lead back to sending her a password reset link to her TT email address which would be fine if she could remember her password but she can't!  The other questions Microsoft ask in order to validate it's her account she also cant answer... so we are kind of scuppered there.

If we try and reset her TT email password via the link on TT Webmail  no email comes through to my TT email account which I can still access.

So I realise there's a number of issues with the statements above.  Not least with my wife's lack of memory!  But is there anyway of getting back into my wife's TT email so we can reset her email password and then ultimately reset her windows password via the link Microsoft provide?

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can provide.

10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Shabba71, unfortunately the information provided doesn't match what's held on our systems. I've resent the link so that you can follow the instructions to set up a telephone encryption password. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Shabba71
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 11

I have responded Ady.

Message 3 of 11

Hi Shabba71, I've sent you a personal message to obtain more information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Shabba71
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 11

Ty, you too.

Message 5 of 11

Perfect. You're all set for TalkTalk Support to pick up early next week when they return to Community. Enjoy your weekend.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Shabba71
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 11

Yes, I can confirm that I was the TT account holder.  I've also updated my profile accordingly.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi @Shabba71 

I've completed the request for you. For your part, just confirm, if you would please, that you were the named TalkTalk account holder when your wife's email address was created. It's the registered account holder than TalkTalk must interact with when it comes to setting up access to a mailbox.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

The mailbox is fully active so we just need to get TalkTalk to re-setup the password recovery options of an alternative email address and a mobile phone number.

Just confirm, if you would please, that you were the named TalkTalk account holder when your wife's email address was created. It's the registered account holder than TalkTalk must interact with when it comes to setting up access to a mailbox.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread, although I expect that'll be during next week from Monday onwards rather than today, and then Community Private Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. Also requested will be the alternate email address and mobile number for password recovery Reset details.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

Shabba71
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Firstly, many thanks for your help thus far!

1). I get no 'undeliverable' message back when I send a msg to my wife's email address.

2). Verifalia confirms that her email address is deliverable.

3). If I use the reset password link I can see two options.  Both of which point to the same email address.  However, the asterisks that mask the first part of the email address don't match the recovery email address that I believe I set up.

e.g john-doe@talktalk.net appears as ****doe@talktalk.net

The asterix masking the hyphen is not displayed. If that makes sense.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

Before I alert TalkTalk to the fact that there's no password recovery options set up on your wife's email address we ought to check that the email account is still active.  If your wife has not subscribed to TalkTalk MailPlus that is a requirement to retain the full use of the email address then the mailbox may well be suspended pending deletion.

Mailboxes are flagged for deletion if the user doesn't sign in at least once every 180 days. The help page  Deleted Email error message explains more.

So first you'd check if the email address is still active. Send the email address a mail message and see if you get an immediate bounceback error message saying 'Undeliverable' that means the mailbox isn't active.

Then  enter the email address at Verifalia, an external website that verifies if an email address exists. Enter the email address, complete the reCAPTCHA and select the Validate button. Does the top line response say 'Deliverable' or something else?

Finally, use the Reset password now button in the Help page  Changing your email password to see if you get a deleted or no domain error message or if you actually do have password recovery options saved.  You mentioned getting a reset to your email address and that would only happen if your email address was listed as a password recovery option for your wife's email address.

Let us know the outcome in each case.

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus

Cancel TalkTalk MailPlus