email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send or reply to emails either through Webmail or any other email client

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 69 of 69

Mail is incoming no problem. But I can't send anything out.

Error messages as follows:

Using TalkTalk Webmail it says "Sender Denied (TT607)":

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (554 - 554 5.2.0 GNgmk4W5DUAtW Sender Denied (TT607)
)

Using third party clients (eg Thunderbird) the error message is:

"Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username obscured for customer security failed."

Can anyone help please? I haven't changed any passwords, settings etc. One day it was working fine, the next day it wasn't.

Thanks,

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson
0 Likes
68 REPLIES 68

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 61 of 69

Some progress. I can now send emails through webmail. BUT still NOT through third party software (clients) - eg Thunderbird on my home PC, or the Apple email client on my iPhone. I have faithfully re-entered the new password into each. But my iPhone is telling me "Cannot send Mail - the sender address was invalid". Thunderbird is responding with "Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username obscured for customer security failed" and it prompts me to retry or choose a new password?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 62 of 69

And I wouldn't even know what a "mobile VPN that's connected to a host outside of the UK" even was, let alone know how to set one up!

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 63 of 69

No, I've never sent out multiple emails. I'm just an ordinary person sending out probably half a dozen mails a day at best. 

So - what should I do about my current problem, having my updated password rejected by Thunderbird and the same message as before appearing in the TalkTalk webmail client when I try to send through there? Do you mean I should wait an hour and then it will be OK?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 64 of 69

Hi Mike

The TalkTalk Mail platform powered by Open-Xchange will detect mutliple sign ins including from a static device and a concurrent sign in from a mobile device.  The configuration of the mail service is normally to allow these in the same local region.  I've not experienced any problem being signed in to TalkTalk Mail and also using a mobile.

There could be an issue if you use a mobile VPN that's connected to a host outside of the UK.

Just trying to get an idea of how and where your devices are signed in to see if this is a false positive or if your mailbox access is compromised.

Is your use of email helping to trigger the block? For example, would you typically send out mail to single users or to a large distribution list?

You may need to wait an hour without using mail for a block to be removed.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 65 of 69

Does someone need to "untrigger" the spam protection on my mailbox? Or is it automatically released when I change my mail password?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 66 of 69

Well I've changed my email password and...

1) When using Webmail I'm still getting:

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (554 - 554 5.2.0 GORKkWn4YeMEU Sender Denied (TT607)
)

2) When using an email client (Thunderbird) the whole thing has completely fallen over - I can't even receive emails now. I have re-entered the new password in Settings on my iPhone.

Any thoughts?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 67 of 69

Thanks for replying so quickly. When you say "signed in" - it's quite possible that,say, I have had a window up on my PC at home using an email programme like Thunderbird, left the computer on, popped out, and checked if I have any new emails on say my iPhone - is that what you mean?

People must do that all the time, I certainly do that all the time - are you saying that triggers a spam process so TalkTalk automatically blocks outgoing mail? Very strange if so.

Anyway, what do you recommend I do? Reset my email password? Would that automatically sort the problem?  

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 68 of 69

Hi Mike

Spam protection has been triggered which is why sending is blocked to any recipient.

Because this is a typical spam indicator when an email account is hijacked and multiple users are active on the account the sending of emails is blocked as a precautionary measure.

But it can also happen to perfectly normal use of the email account when, for example, you are signed in at home via your broadband connection and at the same time signed in via your mobile 'phone data connection or via a VPN connection.

What do you think? Are you signed in via multiple devices, different IP addresses from different places, giving the impression of multiple user sign ins?

If that's not the case then the precautionary path is to change the mailbox password.

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. Please do try the Forgotten your Password option. If there's an alternate email address shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please reset the password via the alternate email address.

Let us have some feedback on this and if you need further help then just say.

Please also do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your TalkTalk email address with any relevant other notes and finally save changes.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution