cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Dsl.pipex.com email - can receive but not send

AMThomas
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Bit of an odd one for you all. My wife and I have dsl.pipex.email which we access through Thunderbird.  I can receive & send but my wife's email can only receive. When she tries to send out email, there are the following error messages, "Login to server smtp.dsl.com with "user name"@dsl.pipex.com failed" [we have never used not the actual account name such as abcd10@dsl.pipex.com]

When retried, there is the following error message, "Sending of the message failed. Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server(SMTP) smtp.dsl.pipex.com. Please check the password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings / Outgoing server SMTP)'. I've checked as afar as I -mail am able to and reset the passwords  via web=but she still cannot send emails.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi AMThomas, please add the affected email addresses to your community profile in the private notes section.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

AMThomas
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 8

Can send / receive messages in web mail but doesn't like Mozilla Thunderbird...My wife will use webmail. A pain but the best we can achieve. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi AMThomas 

I've removed the attachment as it was too revealing.

I checked the email addresses. Both master address and alias address exist as far as the inbound MX server is concerned. But the master address you're using for outgoing mail messages is not recognised by the TalkTalk password recovery process. I don't know why you're using a master address when you appear to have an SMTP server set up for the alias address. I cannot check if the alias address and master address are in fact linked or have the correct password. I would expect you to use the alias email address and password to authenticate both the incoming and outgoing mail server for the email account.

The error message you showed also indicated a time out on the incoming mail server so that tells me the alias address is not connecting to the mailbox Inbox via Thunderbird. Is this a password issue? Or have TalkTalk limited the mailbox to webmail only access?

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full pipex alias email address and password, select Sign in.  Compose and send a mail message to the same alias address to make sure that does send without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and does arrive in and stay in the Inbox.

Hopefully you do get signed in and therefore can confirm the password.

Now, check the Thunderbird saved logins for the alias address email account.  You'll see one entry for the incoming server mail.talktalk.net used with the alias email address and one entry for the outgoing server smtp.talktalk.net used with the alias email address and both passwords should match the one used with webmail.

• Thunderbird settings
  • Privacy & security - Passwords
  • Saved Passwords - Saved logins window opens
  • Show Passwords - Confirm Yes

Remove any incorrect password found.

The good news is that the underlying Thunderbird settings are good for secure email.  So if TalkTalk have limited access because of previous use of the legacy settings then I'll ask TalkTalk Support to check the alias address is not limited to webmail only access and if it is then to restore full access for you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

AMThomas
First Timer
Private Message
Private Message

Message 4 of 8

I have altered settings as per template. Still cannot send from my wife's account.

I have attached the screen shots of error & settings

Moderator note:  Attachment removed for customer security.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

You're still using the legacy pipex server host names both for the incoming and outgoing SMTP servers. Both incoming and outgoing server host names must be for the talktalk.net domain.

Delete the pipex SMTP server.  Add a new outgoing SMTP server to the account that uses the smtp.talktalk.net host name.

Please look at the table I showed in my first reply. All of those settings must be applied to Thunderbird.

AMThomas
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Still unable to send emails.

I have attached a PDF combined file. This gives in order, the screen shots of 1. error messages, 2. the DSL PIPEX.COM settings and 3. the relevant page from the Thunderbird screen shots that shows Thunderbird is up to date (I hope my annotation of the redactions make sense) .

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Hi AMThomas 

It's not odd at all. The account name and master mailbox address is of the form abcd10@dsl.pipex.com whilst the alias address or addresses are of the form localpart@dsl.pipex.com. The inbound mail servers will recognise the alias address is linked to the master mailbox address and will redirect all mail to the master mailbox.

You can sign in to the master mailbox via webmail using either the master address or the alias address.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail pipex email address and pipex email password, select Sign in.

As for the Thunderbird settings, it's clear that out of date legacy settings are being used. These must be changed. 

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready (when you've set a new password). Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full pipex email address and Password is the pipex email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk and tiscali and their sister pipex email addresses are:

Account Type  IMAP secure Email Account
User Name Full pipex email address
Password pipex email password
Incoming mail server (POP3) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

If still in trouble take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the camera icon above this Reply area.

Let me know when Thunderbird is back in action for secure email both incoming and outgoing. However, if you happen to have a POP3 account then the only difference to the above table is the incoming server port that's 995 for POP3 secure mail.

After you've changed the settings have another go.