cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Emails not arriving

NeilM
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 8 of 8

I think that I may also be affected by a similar problem. I am one of the officers of our sailing club. The Commodore has contacted me on my phone to say that several emails that he sent me, today, have bounced. I have checked my email settings and do not have any filters on his address. I use Firefox, which is up to date. I have an ...@tiscali.co.uk address. he has an ...@yahoo... address. We use a group email for committee and I can get emails posted by any other member of the group, but he is blocked. I have logged onto MyAccount, but cannot find out if the server has any filter set that blocks him. My outgoing emails are reaching him.

How do I proceed?

Neil
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Excellent. Great to know that Yahoo Mail is flowing once more for us and the Commodore. I expect Yahoo email admins switched to a different mail sending IP address whilst they work on getting de-listed from the Blacklisting agencies. Let's all hope their sending reputation does now improve from here on.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

NeilM
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

Hi Gondola,

Thanks. I got him to send me a test email, just now , and the connection issue seems to be resolved.  Many thanks for your assistance.

Neil

Neil
0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

It's not a "major disagreement" between TalkTalk and Yahoo Mail. Simply that TalkTalk operate a strong anti-spam policy. Some other mail services aren't as strong.

The effect of returning all mail will trigger Yahoo to do something about the spam that some of their users have sent that's caused the Yahoo mail senders to get blacklisted. The Yahoo admins will also work on getting de-listed from the blacklist agencies. Anyway, it's down to Yahoo to do that. 

Once their sender reputation has improved then we'll see the Yahoo Mail arriving in our Inboxes once more. There are a number of IP addresses they can switch to using for their mail senders and some, lesser used, may have a better reputation than others.

On that issue I've just retested the Yahoo Mail outgoing to TalkTalk and that mail did get accepted without any delay. So it was accepted without the need for scanning. A different mail sending IP address was used: 77.238.179.83 which, although still listed by SORBS SPAM, is obviously being accepted by TalkTalk Mail via CloudMark.  

Perhaps you and the Commodore would like to check and let us know.

NeilM
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

Hello Gondola,

My apologies for the delay in responding to you. I was away at a conference and out of touch with my IT.  This afternoon is first chance to log in, since Friday.

You are correct. I asked the club commodore what the error message was, and he told me it was 

Content rejected (TT992)

I am at a loss as to how to sort this problem out, if - as you say - it is a major disagreement between TalkTalk and Yahoo.  Unless, I ask him to change his provider, it would seem that we cannot conduct any of the administration of the club, as we are the two most senior officers of the club, but cannot communicate via email.  I also have to remain in contact with many of our 340 members, of whom quite a few have Yahoo Mail.

Best regards

Neil

Neil
0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

Hi Neil

You didn't reply to my question but courtesy of other members and my own tests I am now aware that the bounceback error is likely to be 'Content rejected (TT992) on a MAILER-DAEMON Failure notice from Yahoo.

The mail messages are not being accepted by TalkTalk because of the risk of spam from the Yahoo Mail senders. Not necessarily your Commodore or me sending spam - my Yahoo address is also getting the same bounceback failure notice - but the fact remains that the Yahoo Mail senders have been blacklisted because spam-traps have detected outgoing spam from Yahoo. It's now down to Yahoo Mail admins to improve the Yahoo Mail sending reputation i.e. stop spam at source and get the mail server IP addresses de-listed from the aforementioned blacklist(s).

0 Likes

cavedweller
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

This sounds like the same yahoo problem that I am having. I am not  receiving emails from yahoo.co.uk to my dsl.pipex.com address 

@Gondola has responded to this on a different thread.

@Gondola suggests there is nothing that TalkTalk can do and it is the "reputation" of the yahoo servers that is poor.

Although it appears that only TalkTalk are rejecting these emails many other isp's are not stopping yahoo sending emails??

Troglodyte
0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Hi Neil

Your post I've moved to its own topic for individual help.

What was the bounceback error description and TT three digit code? Knowing that would help to determine what's happening to your Commodore's Yahoo Mail incoming mail.

Is your tiscali mailbox migrated to the new look Mail platform? I'll let you know where to check for (Filter) Rules.

0 Likes