cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Error code 0x8004010F Can't receive or send email.

lynnpash
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Since Tuesday I have not been able to send or receive email on my laptop and all get get in the box that pops up on my screen is the above . I can get emails and send emails on my amazon fire, but its not really convinent. I don't use Outlook.com only my Tiscali.co.uk address which was working perfectly fine until  then. I have a 365 account, one issues was syncing everything with One drive. Which I've since quit as I didn't use it. However I still cannot send or receive email on my laptop, which is what I use. 

I've looked at various help , but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help me please.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

I appreciate your time to let me know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 10

Hi
Just to say we followed a You tube video and it worked, both emails are now working as they did.

Thanks for your imput.

Message 3 of 10

The only difference in settings between IMAP secure and secure POP3 is the port number. 995 for secure POP3. All other server settings are identical although you'll need to decide on keeping Inbox mail copies on the server and for how long.

The data files are often given the same name. Locate and move the pst file, rename it then import it to your partner's profile.

0 Likes

lynnpash
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 10

Hi I'm still on POP 3 as its a tiscali account not TT. Not IMAP

Both of the PST files are located in the folder C:\Users\lynne\Documents\Outlook Files\

but Outlook will not recgonise this path for my partners PST file location.

I have M/S 365.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Please explain what you mean by "old path".

Are you referring to the incoming and outgoing server settings set up in the Outlook email client?  These are identical for all TalkTalk Mail domains including tiscali.co.uk email addresses.

Supported Outlook settings for IMAP email accounts are:

Account Type  IMAP secure
Username Full TalkTalk email address
Password TalkTalk email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (Not SPA)

For a definitive check of settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

0 Likes

lynnpash
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 10

Hi When I said I didn't use onedrive. I didn't realise it was syncing everything in the background all of the time, it was only from monday that my outlook PST files were corupted. From researching on the internet, there's many others with the same problem.

My only problem now is although we have repaired the corupted files for me and my partner, and made new copies of the repaired PST files. ( we have the corrupted files in a separate folder on the C drive.),  Outlook still has the old path for my partners email, so we need to find out how to change that path so Outlook can find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

My partners email is a tiscali email address.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

You did say in your first post that you weren't using OneDrive. But even then Outlook has always been very prone to corruption of the data file particularly when that data file gets large. This is one of many design flaws in the Outlook email client.

0 Likes

lynnpash
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for your reply. We tried that several times and it still didn't work. So after much research it was Onedrive which corrupted the PST file, something happened and it started syncing the Outlook files. I found this on M/S support from someone else who had the same problem :

A PST file should <never> be stored in a folder that is being sync'd with OneDrive. It is not supported and can cause data corruption. From your description, this came about because OneDrive was installed after everything in Outlook was configured. So anyone out there be very careful. whatever you do don't let it start syncing your Outlook files. I have totally uninstalled onedrive and its never going back on my pc. We had to make copies of the files run them several times through the Scanpst and put them on the C drive, then change the location to C:\Users\\Documents\Outlook Files\.

Its been a nighmare. Mine is back to normal but my partners PST cannot be read, so I will reaseaching how to get their email back over the weekend.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Your Outlook profile / data file is corrupted and needs to be repaired. Here's Microsoft's advice on how to use the Scanpst.exe repair tool in Outlook to try to fix the corruption. 

0 Likes