cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

IMAP email

neiljohns
Chatterbox
Private Message
Private Message

Message 12 of 12

Hello. My webmail is working fine, but I can't send or receive emails using Mail for Mac (on an iPhone and a Mac desktop). Looking at other posts it sounds like IMAP/POP3 may have been disabled for my account. Could you please let me know what I need to do to have IMAP access reinstated? NB. I only have a TalkTalk email address currently, nothing else (phone, broadband). Many thanks in advance! Neil

11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi all, I've been told that all the outstanding ones have been done now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 12

Hi Ady-TalkTalk

Has there been any progress with restoring access yet and will you confirm when it's been done? I'd appreciate an update and to know how long it will take as I'm spending time every day checking for updates, trying to reconnect.

Thanks

Neil

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi Ady

Many thanks. Can you let me know how long that's likely to take, so I know when to try re-authenticating my mail apps/account with the secure protocols? Tried a few minutes ago but it didn't work, so presumably it's waiting on someone else?

Thanks

Neil

Message 4 of 12

Hi neiljohns, I've requested that your mailbox be restored to full access again. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 12

You've hit the nail right on the head. People don't check because their mail is working so they just leave it. Hence why there's a stack of users now coming online to say their mail isn't working. At least the enforced stop on insecure mail connections is producing results at the inconvenience of switching to use webmail temporarily. No inconvenience to users that already use secure mail to protect themelves and the reliability of TalkTalk Mail.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 6 of 12

thanks for clarifying - must have thought they didn't apply

Message 7 of 12

The TalkTalk Community response time varies and depends on workflow. Typically 2-3 days should be allowed. If Ady is online tomorrow I would hope this post is picked up then. Ady would need to verify some personal details with you and then authorise the restore of IMAP access. Then full email access is usually back in action within 24 hours.

In July 2021 I posted a sticky post at the head of this forum to advise users of insecure legacy settings to upgrade those settings to those recommended in the TalkTalk Help content guides.

TalkTalk starting sending out notification messages in November 2021 to users that had not added their mailbox addresses to an active customer MyAccount.

Then following on from March 2022 after insecure encryption protocols were removed there's been batches of notifications go out about using insecure settings. Unfortunately, some users chose to wilfully use insecure settings on outdated software instead of upgrading that software and some users simply ignored the advice or dismissed it as spam.

Which brings us to here and TalkTalk having no reasonable option left other than to withdraw email access to put a stop to the use of insecure mail. So, it's been over the last 2 years that various initiatives have been tried to get users to use only secure mail.

Message 8 of 12

How long does it typically take TalkTalk Support to respond?
Do you know when and/or how the security guidance would have been issued? I didn't willingly ignore it - I didn't see it and can't find an email about it.
And yes I'm a mailplus subscriber

Thanks Neil

Message 9 of 12

The devices are all good to support secure mail. The secure settings will not authenticate until TalkTalk restore IMAP/ POP3 access but the request for that is made. TalkTalk Support will respond here.

neiljohns
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi

Thanks for coming back to me, phone and mac details are below. Please advise on next steps

Phone - iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15.7.2

Mac - iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2011, macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Thanks

Neil

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

Hi Neil

Yes, you're right. The mailbox will be limited to webmail only access if previous guidance from TalkTalk to use only secure mail settings has been ignored. TalkTalk Support will restore access but only after confirmation that you can setup secure mail and then only use compatible devices.  NB until access is restored the devices will not authenticate a connection even if now setup to use secure mail.

So, what iPhone is it and what Operating system version is on the Mac Desktop? Both must use secure mail settings. Let us know if there are any other ways you access your mailbox.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the customer email address and account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

When you say you don't have TalkTalk broadband does that mean you're no longer a TalkTalk Consumer customer at all? Or are you a TalkTalk MailPlus subscriber paying a subscription to retain TalkTalk Mail access on your iPhone and Mac desktop. If a MailPlus subscriber then that's OK just unfortunate that the device(s) didn't have secure settings. But do let us know if you're not a TalkTalk Mail Plus subscriber.

TalkTalk will notify you in advance of TalkTalk Mail being limited to webmail only access if:

• You're not a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer or MailPlus subscriber
    Or the mailbox address is not added to an active customer MyAccount
  • Any device email software, email app, or mail collection service connects to your mailbox using insecure settings
    Secure mail connections to your mailbox must all be made using a minimum of TLS 1.2 encryption security and sign in using the email address and email password
  • There's continued use of out of date email software, operating system or legacy email settings
    We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Mac PC using Mac Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus

Cancel TalkTalk MailPlus