cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

IMAP mail setting on Android phone not working

RichardJN
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

Hi

I need to use IMAP for incoming mail on an android phone, instead of POP3 and the latest setting imply the server name is the same and only needs the port number changing from 995 to 993, but after some minutes, it fails with "Unable to complete  Couldn't connect to server" (mail.talktalk.net) using my Tiscali.co.uk address.  I have changed it on a Windows 10 Thunderbird mail client without any problem.

Any suggestions why it won't change on an Android phone?

Thanks

Richard

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

OK. Good news.

Just make sure the settings are as recommended by TalkTalk because although the device is capable of secure settings it may not automatically set them up so please do a double check.

If you need a positive confirmation then take screenshots of the Incoming and Outgoing server settings,  image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the picture icon above this Reply area.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

RichardJN
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Hi

Thanks for the reply, yes when I deleted the pop account I had added and set up again as IMAP, it works as expected.  It's a Moto mobile using Android version 11.

Regards

Richard

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Hi RichardJN 

You cannot simply change a POP3 email account to an IMAP email account. So long as you haven't downloaded mail messages to the POP3 account on the android mobile then delete the account on the mobile (that action will delete downloaded mail) and set up a new IMAP email account. It'll set up exactly as the IMAP account on Thunderbird. All mail message in the online Inbox and other online folders will be viewable.

What model Android phone, what's the Android operating system and what's the email software and version number? The older Android 4 'phones don't support secure mail but later versions should be good with the exception of some email softwares that don't quite perform as expected. Supported Android device setup is as the below guide.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on an Android device

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution