cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Microsoft Office 2010 Outlook IMAP not synchronising

annjeffpipex
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Dear All,

Could someone from TT support confirm, that Outlook 2010 works with TalkTalks new email server settings?

All the settings have been setup as per instructions. The only settings that I am not sure about is the incoming mail server (IMAP) port is 993 and encryption connection is set to SSL, because no other option worked yesterday. (Friday 17th Feb) and today it stopped synchronising even with this setting.

So clarification would be good to understand if Outlook 2010 will work with TLS settings

Thank you in advance for the help

Anne 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi annjeffpipex, I'm sorry thsi still hasn't been sorted. I've sent it over again to be restored and I'll chase it later today. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

@annjeffpipex, Talktalk support staff reply Monday to Friday, so I am afraid that you won't hear back from them over the weekend. 

I am re-escalating this thread for you, so it will be in the queue for attention on their return. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

annjeffpipex
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 8

dear TalkTalk, I am now addressing directly to TalkTalk support and not to the community.

It is getting ridiculous now: Outlook still does not work, only webmail. I can send from outlook, but not receive. Iphone does not work at all. Could someone please do something on the server side to allow my account to synch imap on outlook and on iOS.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi annjeffpipex, I've added your mailbox to the list of those to be restored to full service.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Nice one.

Outlook 365 supports secure mail and to update go via the Advanced setup settings of an email profile, as in this example for Windows 10 or 11.

• Select the  Windows icon bottom left
  • Select the  Settings cog icon
  • Select Accounts
  • Select  Email & Accounts and for a first time setup select Add Account and enter the settings in the table
  • Or select the email account
  • Select Change account or double click on the email account

At that point on your device you ought to see the Outlook setup to enter the TalkTalk Mail server settings: NB All talktalk domains use the exact same IMAP secure settings.

Supported Outlook 365 settings are:

Account Type  IMAP secure
Username Full TalkTalk email address
Password TalkTalk email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (Not SPA)

However, the Outlook 365 or the phone app will not authenticate a connection until TalkTalk restore full access. I've requested that TalkTalk do now restore access and you should be able to authenticate the devices within 24 hours of TalkTalk Support responding.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

annjeffpipex
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Dear Gondola,

Since your post I have purchased o365, so I now have the latest Outlook. I am working on windows 10. The outlook still cannot connect.

Do I understand correctly, that TalkTalk completely removed the imap access or have they removed imap access to unsecure devises?

Also, can someone answer why iphone has stopped working? iPhone is secure. What is happening with TalkTalk?

No way to get support from the support department on emails. Why buy the email services if you do not provide support for them?

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Simple answer. Outlook 2010 is a deprecated insecure product that is not supported by Microsoft with any security updates so is inherently insecure. Out of the box the product does not support secure mail to the required TLS 1.2 standard required by TalkTalk Mail.

You should cease using Outlook 2010 with TalkTalk Mail. Continued use of insecure settings will result in permanent withdrawal of access to the mailbox.

TalkTalk have removed IMAP access as a last resort action to stop the use of insecure settings.  Full access can be requested but we need to make sure you are using devices and email software that is capable of secure mail to the standards required by TalkTalk Mail to keep your mail messages and personal security intact.

What device are you using with Outlook 2010? Operating system? Other email software? Other devices? All must use secure mail settings from now on.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution