cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Missing Emails

Smee01
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Hi all. I was checking my emails yesterday when I noticed that they were disappearing as I watched. I quickly closed the mail app and then opened it again. Emails from Feb 2021 to early this month have disappeared. I’ve checked on Webmail and they are not on the server. Any ideas?

Thanks

John
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

No, both devices are set up as IMAP email accounts. Will definitely scan for any viruses etc. 

Thanks once again. 

John

Message 2 of 7

Are any of the devices you control set up as POP3 email accounts?  Another customer had a similar experience with Apple / Mac Mail getting the Remove copy from server after retrieving a message inadvertently ticked. Choose Mail > Settings, click Accounts, select the account, click Advanced, then untick or choose a different option from the pop-up menu below “Remove copy from server after retrieving a message.” if you find there's an option there that's removing after 30 days.

Have a look at any devices set up as POP3 accounts and you may find the missing mail in the Inbox of that device.

However, if you think the mail may have been downloaded by an unauthorised person then upgrading the password was the thing to do. But it's not the only thing. You should scan all your email devices for viruses trojans or malware and make sure there are no password capturing nasties lurking. Then, even if you find nothing. Change the password again.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 7

All other folders are fine. I’ve logged on to my Webmail again and it looks fine other than the emails that have disappeared. I haven’t set up any new devices recently and only access my emails on a couple of Apple devices. I guess I’ll have to put this down to experience. 
Many thanks for taking the time to help me. 

John
0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

I feel that mailbox corruption would not exhibit the symptom you've described. Particularly not leaving Inbox mail for the last 30 days and deleting older Inbox content.  I assume you've not seen any effect on folders other than the Inbox? i.e. no missing mail from other folders? NB Spam and Trash have mail that's not older than 30 days.

Check in TalkTalk Mail webmail that messages are no longer going 'missing' as they might do if a default POP3 account is connected and that they're not in the Trash folder as they might be if inadvertently deleted by an IMAP email account or in another folder if inadvertently moved by an IMAP email account. NB if moved into a sub-folder then sub-folders are indicated by an inwards facing arrowhead. Just select that arrowhead to expand any sub-folders.

You didn't comment on whether you had set up a new mail account, perhaps on a new device, or POP3 mail collection service, without ticking the 'Leave a copy on the server' or 'Never delete from the server' or perhaps had set up 'Leave a copy on the server for 30 days' or similar.

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the prompt response. Any chance Talktalk could look at my mail account for any possible corruption and if that’s the case, possibly repair it? I have changed my password to be on the safe side. 

John
0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

The most common reason is that a mail collection service like Gmail or an email client connecting to your mailbox with POP3 protocol is downloading and deleting mail messages from the Inbox.

Have you recently set up a new email app or mail collection service?

If not you then change and upgrade your password to lock out unauthorised connections to your mailbox.

The Reset password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.