cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Not receiving email from specific domain

IanLewis
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

For the last 2 weeks or so, I have not received any emails sent from the domain bristolbach.org.uk .

I know they have been sent, because I'm sending them. They haven't come back as undeliverable.

I use Thunderbird on a windows PC, GMail on an android phone, and I've checked using talktalk webmail as well. None of these have any rules set up to redirect messages. The last message I received from this domain was on 24th January.

Please can you check to see if the domain has been blocked, or any other reason why I might not be receiving the emails?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Kev5574, you hopped on an old thread here. Please start a new topic and if the sender are receiving an error message please let us have that too. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Kev5574
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

I cannot receive emails from the domain emglive.com

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Yes, the email hosting service is the place to start with troubleshooting. The email sending via a mimecast relay service and the related SPF file aren't under TalkTalk's control.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

IanLewis
Participant
Private Message
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the explanation. I don't manage any of this. I guess I'll have to get on to the email hosting company.

Message 5 of 8

I can see that IP address 188.121.53.229 is used by secureserver.net and that is an authenticated server for the bristolbach.org.uk domain.

However, IP address 91.220.42.227 is used by mimecast.com and is being flagged as not permitted by protection.outlook.com that is included as part of the secureserver.net authentication.

What this suggests is that the mail is being received by the relay.mimecast.com servers that report the authentication of the original sender is good. But the mimecast.com senders that relay the email to its destination are not authenticated. 

Clearly either the email hosting service or your email sending has set up to relay mail via the mimecast relay servers and this is why TalkTalk would reject the non-authenticated mail.  This needs closer investigation on your side.

A simple fix would be to set the SPF file's last entry up a ~ all instead of - all and this would allow any mail servers to send the mail. Not exactly secure but it would work. Assuming the mimecast relay is legitimate a better solution would be to include the mimecast.com servers in a new SPF file uploaded to the DNS Name Servers.

Do you manage the email hosting via cPanel or equivalent or do you let the email hosting service do that for you? The email hosting admins should be able to answer queries about the email sending.

0 Likes

IanLewis
Participant
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

That's interesting. Having sent an email from bristolbach.org.uk to a non-talktalk address, I see the following in the headers:

(Near the top of the headers)

Received-SPF: Fail (protection.outlook.com: domain of bristolbach.org.uk does not designate 91.220.42.227 as permitted sender)

(lower down)

spf=pass (relay.mimecast.com: domain of chair@bristolbach.org.uk designates 188.121.53.229 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=chair@bristolbach.org.uk

I don't really know what to make of this. Does it mean that the email has been passed through an intermediate server which doesn't have the 'correct' authentication? If so, what can I, or anyone else, do about it? As far as I'm concerned, it was sent directly from one address to the other.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

I cannot see anything obvious other than the SPF file requires sending by only the specified mail servers.

Have you changed the email hosting or are testing by auto-forward from some intermediate mail account or sending by other than the servers stated in the SPF file? TalkTalk will reject mail that is not SPF authenticated.

0 Likes