cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Onetel email settings for iPhone

robincm1
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

I have tried to update my iPhone mail client with the new settings for my onetel.com email but I keep getting an error message saying I have “not provided a password - go to settings”.

I re enter the password but still get the same outcome!

Regards,

Rob

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

You're very welcome. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Thanks Ady.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi Robin, thanks for confirming the security information. I've now added the email address to your account as requested.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 11

Hi robincm1, if you want me to add an email address to your account we'll have to go through security questions. I've sent you a personal message.

Ady

robincm1
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Gondola,

I am not very “tech savvy” so hadn’t realised the implications of the legacy system.

Thanks for explaining and helping me out.

Robin

Message 6 of 11

TalkTalk Support will respond right here about restoring full access.

As a user of the legacy settings for onetel you'll remember that it was an insecure mail service using port 25 for outgoing mail and to get authentication you had to send via the TalkTalk network.

However, using fully secure connections, the talktalk.net host server names and port 587 with StartTLS encryption and password authentication for sending mail you'll be able to connect to the TalkTalk network via another mobile or broadband service provider's network. i.e. even if they block port 25 insecure connections they'll not block port 587 secure connections. 

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

robincm1
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

Thanks Gondola,

I think I have reset everything so I will wait a week and hope all is restored.

PS will the TalkTalk smtp client still work when I am using a different service provider? Ie when I am out & about.

Regards,

Robin

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

The Chrome browser is supported by TalkTalk Mail and when updated to the latest build is secure by design. Some platforms will produce a 'Browser not supported' message but all primary functionality will be good.

Please cease using the onetel legacy mail server names (and insecure settings). All TalkTalk Consumer domains including the onetel family all use the talktalk.net server host name. Incoming mail is mail.talktalk.net and outgoing SMTP mail is smtp.talktalk.net.

Please refer to the TalkTalk device setup guides. I'll request POP3 access is restored and that'll happen next week. The email clients will not authenticate a connection until full access is back.

If you need clarification on settings then take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of the onetel email address, upload here using the picture icon (mobile browser) camera icon (desktop browser) above this Reply area.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Mac PC using Mac Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPad

robincm1
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Thanks Gondola,

I will try updating my mail account security over the weekend. I usually access my email on iPad mail and Thunderbird on Mac - both POP3. Both on latest operating systems.

BTW Using Chrome on iPad to access webmail produces the warning that the browser is not supported (but it seems to work!)

How do I request TalkTalk to release my email accounts?

PS can I still use the onetel mail servers or do I have to change them to TalkTalk?

Cheers, Robin

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

So, you're received the TalkTalk notification email about continued use of insecure settings and as a last resort action, to stop the use of insecure / legacy settings, have been limited to webmail only. The iPhone will not authenticate the settings until TalkTalk restore full access. That can be requested so long as the device is capable of secure settings.

TalkTalk will notify you in advance of TalkTalk Mail being limited to webmail only access if:

• You're not a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer or MailPlus subscriber
    Or the mailbox address is not added to an active customer MyAccount
  • Any device email software, email app, or mail collection service connects to your mailbox using insecure settings
    Secure mail connections to your mailbox must all be made using a minimum of TLS 1.2 encryption security and sign in using the email address and email password
  • There's continued use of out of date email software, operating system or legacy email settings
    We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides

What's the version of iOS operating system on the iPhone? A guide to settings is given below.

Do you use any other method to view your mail messages? Mail collection service, desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet, other phone?  Every device or email software must use secure settings and any one device not set up to use secure mail that connects to your mailbox could trigger a withdrawal of IMAP/POP3 access. We need to know to be able to advise you on compatibility.

You'll still be able to use webmail via an up to date Internet browser as that is secure by design.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the onetel email address and customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone