cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

POP or IMAP dont want to loose emails

cruiseblogger
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

My computer crashed at the weekend and we are in the process of reinstalling and setting in back up.  We will have to reinstall Thunderbird which is what we use to see our talk talk emails.  Its been set up like this a few years now and I have no idea if it was set up as a POP or IMAP.  

I am worried I might loose my email history when we reinstall it.

From what I gather if it was set up as IMAP the emails are retained in the talk talk server? but how can I tell? Is someone at talk talk able to tell me ?

I know I can go to talk talk web mail and see everything inbox and all my saved sub folders.  But if we reset thunderbird up from new will it overwrite the web mail or if I can see it in webmail will it always be there.

EG if thunderbird reloads will it pick up all the history and if it doesnt will it wipe clear all the data in the webmail

I hope this makes sense to someone who can help.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

What you see in the TalkTalk Mail mailbox will be what you see in an IMAP secure mail account newly set up in Thunderbird. TalkTalk Mail does not retain any mail that you may have downloaded and deleted from the online server.

If you've set up in the online mailbox some My Folders to save messages then if you synchronise those folders then you'll see those saved messages in an IMAP secure mail account newly set up in Thunderbird.

You may sign in to TalkTalk Mail to double check what you have there.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address, select Continue and enter the password, select Sign in.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 4

Thank you so you are saying that the talk talk server does retain them anyway.

And if I do the above it will pull them from the server back into thunderbird?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Set up as IMAP secure and that will mirror what's on the TalkTalk server.

Manual Configuration for IMAP emailManual Configuration for IMAP email

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution