cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Please restore my email access via email client

brookly
Team Player
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

Changed security settings for my email accounts on PC and Mobile phone last year as advised by email from Talktalk. Past few days cannot send emails from my @talktalk.net account using Mail for Windows 10 or Samsung Mail. Just realised that a recently purchased Tablet has set up using the old insecure email settings. This is now corrected and all my devices are updated with the new secure settings. Please can you restore my email access to send email using an email client.  the email accounts in question are in my personal settings. Thank You.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

At least we've confirmed that there are no security issues at your end.

There was an issue with mailbox access and buffered / delayed delivery that I'd reported to TalkTalk on 17th but persisted until TalkTalk eventually got around to fixing on 20th. I thought, based on my view of the incident, that the delayed deliveries had been flushed out of the system by around 2:15pm on 20th, but maybe not. Even The Sun newspaper picked up on the failure.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

brookly
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 12

Hi to Gondola and forum OCE's

Overnight i have received a bunch of the test emails i've been trying to send to myself, all my outgoing mail is now correctly showing in the sent items folder. Checked with a mail recipient and mail i sent them 2 days ago has also arrived overnight!

Looks like there was a glitch somewhere and i wrongly assumed it was because of the security settings that others were experiencing. Hopefully all is back to normal.

Thanks to Gondola for your interest and advice.

Until the next time....

Brookly

Message 3 of 12

Hi gondola

there is no error message.

the email just disappears from the drafts/outbox but does not appear in the sent items, the mail is not received at recipient. its the same with mail for windows 10 and samsung mail. it must be going as far as talktalk servers but no further?

thanks for your ideas, hopefully one of the talktalk guys can sort it out when they come back online

brookly

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

The outgoing server settings are perfect and the password is strong enough and exceeds minimum security requirements. So, mail should send.

What error message is present when sending fails?

brookly
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 12

Hi Gondola

password is 12 characters a mixture of 2uppercase 3lowercase 5numbers 2special ($ and _)

that seems strong enough to me, its been working ok like that for some time

brookly

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

The settings are perfectly good.

So, if mail is incoming to the exact same TalkTalk mailbox then mail should send. The only thing that will stop mail going out is the TalkTalk SMTP server dropping the connection due to a weak password.

So, what's the password strength like? More than 8 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol? My personal recommendation is 12 - 15 characters formed of 3 random but memorable words using multicase letters plus 2 added numbers and a symbol. 

brookly
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

Hi Gondola screenshots of my settings

mail for windows 10.jpg

screenshot mail for windows settings

samsung mail.jpg

 screenshot samsung mail is taken from my phone. i have now set up the new samsung tablet with identical settings  

brookly

  

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Please take a screenshot of the Windows Mail Sync Options and upload here using the Camera icon above this Reply area. I'll double check. It should be working for both incoming and outgoing mail if the settings are indeed as I've shown.

Message 9 of 12

To clarify, the Samsung email app server settings are:

IMAP Incoming server: mail.talktalk.net or imap.talktalk.net

Security type: SSL

Port: 993

SMTP Outgoing server: smtp.talktalk.net

Security type: TLS

Port: 587

Require authentication to send emails: ON

Please confirm that those are the settings you see on the Samsung incoming and outgoing server settings.

brookly
Team Player
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi Gondola Thanks for your reply.

Yes i'm using IMAP on all devices. the settings in mail for Windows 10 are exactly as you show above.

I used automatic configuration when setting up the new Samsung Tablet and i didnt realise it had set incoming to port 143 no security and outgoing to 587 TLS.

Have now corrected this in the tablet to incoming port SSL 993 and outgoing TLS 587. and checked that all my other devices are correct as well. Incoming mail is coming through OK and I can send via Talktalk webmail but not able to send from either Mail for Windows 10 or Samsung Mail.

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

If you can receive mail messages into Windows Mail on Windows 10 then the mailbox is unlikely to be restricted in any way. What type of email account have you set up in Windows Mail - IMAP or POP3?

The IMAP Sync options are:

Windows Mail IMAP server settings for TalkTalk Mail