cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Repetitive Scam/Spam Emails

Crusader300
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

For the past couple of months I get around 6-8 emails each day saying that - I have won this or that, my McAfee or Virus protection has expired, or we've been trying to contact you for a prize.

I mark them as Spam and Delete them each day in TalkTalk Mail.

The majority of the emails have a senders extension of "apocalypto.org.uk". As soon as I see the email I know what they are because they are all in the same format.

Can TalkTalk filter out this type of email and specifically those from that extension?

Chatty Man
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi rainbow4, you've joined an old topic. Please start a new thread and we'll be happy to help you.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

rainbow4
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 12

I have starte>LPd receiving the same sort of spam. After trying all I knew I contacted TalkTalk and spent some time with an agent called Lord. After much huffing and puffing I was promised that I would hear no more from McAfee and other scams. Next day same as usual and most other days since. As a beginner to win 10 I am not familiar with its' security or maintenance routines. Can anybody advisehow get rid of these persistent scam emails? HELP.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi Joe, it wasn't me. It probably means that the filters saw enough come in to identify it correctly. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi Ady

I don't know if you did anything, but for 2 days I have not had any of those spam emails. Well done if you did something, or if not, have I spoken too soon?

Joe

Chatty Man
0 Likes

jfeat
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 12

Hi Crusader 300

I am also getting a similar number of emails from the same domain , i.e. apocalypto.org, and various permutations thereof.

I have been trying to configure the filter rules to automatically move them into spam folder but so far without success (settings/email/filter rules).

The spammer is adjusting the domain to permutations like: @typic22al1998ly.apocalypto.org.uk  so I need to know how to use special characters in the filter rules, & so far I  have been unable to find an article with instructions on how to do this.

Like you I presumed that flagging a hundred or so spam emails with this domain would autoamtically trip  a spam rule on the TT mail server, but clearly not!

My wife is getting same spam to her TT email address.

Will let you know if I manage to crack the code!

jfeat

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

The mail filters don't only reference your account unfortunately. This means its a combined figure for all the TT accounts.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi @Crusader300 sorry it was a typo email.

Try Gmail in chrome rather than through the app.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en&sjid=8692413463371563176-EU

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 8 of 12

Hi Ady, How much is enough? It's more than enough for me - 5-7 a day for months seems a lot. Is there a filter that I can set up to search and delete them?

Chatty Man
0 Likes

Crusader300
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

Hi Divsec, not sure what a WE mail app is. The app in my phone is Gmail, which doesn't have it, my PC and Laptop I use Talktalk Mail, which i would have assumed had that facility, but doesn't. My old Live mail had it, but alas that has gone with Win7. Thanks for the advice

Chatty Man
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi Crusader300, if the domain sends enough spam to the domain then yes it will be blocked as a whole. 

Ady

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

Hi @Crusader300 you could try setting up a rule in the we mail app to automatically delete, or send those with that combination in their email address directly to any folder you chose?

Your post has been escalated. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.