cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Spam emails on new email service

stuartr75
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

I am sure you are aware by now of loads of spam emails now coming through for a couple of weeks. I presume this is because of the email platform switchover. I use an @Tiscali.co.uk address. I don’t think any spam filtering has been applied on the new service

tried calling support but not getting anywhere

9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Thanks for the confirmation member Blur28 as that's very helpful.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Yes. It’s Google mail or Gmail accounts. 

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 10

I think I need to air this on social media now. Would encourage others to do same.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi @Blur28 

When you View Source to inspect the email header what is the email domain within the<chevron brackets> on the From: line?

Users are reporting that it's Gmail or Googlemail so is that what you see?

TalkTalk were investigating the circumstances of this new wave of spam predominantly being sent by Gmail.

Blur28
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 10

To say that I too have been inundated with spam for the last 5 days. Never seen so much of it. I use an @Tiscali.co.uk email address. I don’t believe it’s anything to do with the platform switchover as that happened to my account a few weeks ago now. But please talk talk can you sort this urgently. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

So it is the same wave of spam from user+detail@gmail.com that Google are allowing their mail servers to send out.

TalkTalk would have every right to block all Gmail.

TalkTalk have been rate limiting the amount of spam entering the TalkTalk network that should have had the effect of getting Google to stop all outgoing spam at source.

Clearly Google are having as much trouble stopping spam outgoing as TalkTalk are having stopping spam incoming.

Usually Gmail is fully authenticated so doesn't need scanning for suspect content. When there's a flood of spam and every inbound mail message from Gmail has to be scanned as a precaution then the mail servers would be slowed down so all that TalkTalk can do is rate limit or block all Gmail.

0 Likes

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 10

Hi Stuart I'm also on a tiscali address. Wasn't aware of the switchover. What has happened? Obviously it might expain the mess we are in.

TalkTalk are you there? We need some answers and solutions please.

0 Likes

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 10

For example

t.h.um.n.gu.y.e.n52+l2i3fan9xinz1gvouao4erevbghsby@gmail.com

mds0.6.50.7.1+y1fxxh5x3hgcgkpywzzkhezua6vted@gmail.com

Mine are all g mail. It's gone crazy, I've never ever had so much come at me. As I said, I can control it at my end (altho' its a bit of a pain); I just dont understand why e mails that are so obviously spam get through.

Best wishes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

When you View Source to inspect the email header what is the email domain within the<chevron brackets> on the From: line?

Users are reporting that it's Gmail or Googlemail so is that what you see?

The same Cloud mark/Proofpoint anti-spam engine is still in use and TalkTalk were investigating the circumstances of this new wave of spam predominantly being sent by Gmail.

0 Likes