cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to receive onetel emails via Outlook

fba01
First Timer
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

I have updated onetel email settings (POP 3) in Outlook following an email received on 16.2.23, but I am unable to send or receive any onetel emails via Outlook. Emails can be sent and received via the webmail.

When Outlook sends a test message to the onetel account, it is received in the webmail account, but nothing is being received via Outlook. I can send a message via the onetel account using Outlook, but cannot receive anything. I get a message saying " Task abc@onetel.com - Receiving'  reported error (0x800CCC92): "Your email server rejected your login. Verify your username and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR [AUTH} Authentication failed".

I updated POP 3 settings in Outlook for my talktalk email address, it updated immediately & everything is working fine. Not sure what's going on with the onetel server?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi fba01, once you've got the right settings in use please add the affected email address to private notes in your community profile.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

I hope you mean Outlook 2021. Outlook 2010 should not be taken online at all. Not as POP3 not as IMAP. Not at all.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

fba01
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 9

Many thanks, although I think that if I set up the onetel account in Outlook 2010 as IMAP, it should also work. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Good move. I like it.

Yes, use the setup I showed in my first reply and you'll be perfect for a POP3 secure mail account, if that's your preference.  If you wish to set up an IMAP email account in Office 2021 then the only difference in the setup is the incoming IMAP mail server port is 993.

fba01
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 9

Many thanks for your response. I am in the process of getting Office Pro 2021. Hopefully that should be ok to receive onetel emails in Outlook?

Message 6 of 9

The settings are not quite the same as required. Outlook 2010 is out of date and presents security risks because it has not been updated by Microsoft with security patches. Outlook 2010 does not support StartTLS encryption nor does it come equipped to support TLS 1.2 encryption security.

You must cease using Outlook 2010 and upgrade to a new secure mail client.

If you have Windows 10 or Windows 11 then that comes with Windows Mail as part of the package. Or you can upgrade via a paid option to Outlook 365 or download the free Thunderbird or BlueMail desktop email clients. I can help you with any of those or you can advise any other free email software of your choice.

fba01
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi,

Many thanks for your response. All the settings above are exactly what I have input in Outlook; i.e. the incoming and outgoing mail servers, port numbers 995 & 587 & encryption using TLS. I am using Outlook 2010; I can send an email from my onetel account in Outlook, apologies I wrote in my post that I couldn't, I will confirm again that I can send messages from my onetel account via Outlook but cannot receive any emails via Outlook into the onetel account. It looks like TalkTalk support need to restore access, as I am using Outlook for my talktalk emails as well and I have exactly the same settings for the port numbers 995 & 587 & encryption using TLS; the moment I changed the port numbers and encryption method, I was able to send and receive messages for the talktalk email address in Outlook. I have sent a test message via Outlook to the onetel account several times and it has been received in the webmail account; it looks like the support team will have to restore access for the talktalk mailbox server to authenticate the Onetel password, as the error message from Outlook is that the server failed authentication.

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

You received the notification from TalkTalk to your onetel email address that it's been limited to webmail access as a result of removing device access for email software like Outlook?  So, as device access has been removed it will not authenticate the password.

The email settings for Onetel (other than Username and Password) are absolutely identical to the TalkTalk address. The servers are talktalk.net servers.  What version of Outlook are you using?

Perhaps this will help.

Go via the Advanced setup settings of an email profile, as in this example for Windows 10 or 11.

• Select the  Windows icon bottom left
  • Select the  Settings cog icon
  • Select Accounts
  • Select  Email & Accounts
  • Select the email account
  • Select Change account or double click on the email account

At that point on your device you ought to see the Outlook setup to enter the TalkTalk Mail server settings for an IMAP secure account. In the event that you have previously set up a POP3 email account then use the below settings but enter the Incoming Port as 995.

Account Type  POP3 secure
Username Full Onetel email address
Password Onetel email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (POP3) 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (Not SPA)

If still having difficulty, then take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the Camera icon above this Reply area. But hopefully, going via the profile should enable you to update the settings.

However, the talktalk mailbox server will not authenticate the password until TalkTalk Support restore access for you.