cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

email passwords

geoffwbrown
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

I have three email addresses and one does not respond to a change of password. My wife uses this address and can only see her mail via webmail and not by using Mozilla. All settings are correct for imap. Help!

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Perfect, a result.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

geoffwbrown
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

Many thanks to Gondola and Ady-talktalk. My wife's email came through last night making her a very happy bunny! She is most grateful for getting it sorted.

Message 3 of 10

Hi Geoff, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 10

Hi Geoff

I've obscured the email address you posted to protect you from spammers. I'm sure the secure mail settings are good so on your authority I've requested that full access is restored for the email address mailbox that you should also add to your Community profile, Personal information, Private notes if not done already.

TalkTalk Support will respond here, but do not expect that until early next week, and access returned within a couple of days after that. Until then use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

I can only sympathise over the less than perfect online support and for the weekend delay because Community does not normally receive TalkTalk Support at weekends save for priority 1 outages.

But I am here to support you on this topic until access is fully restored.

geoffwbrown
Chatterbox
Private Message
Private Message

Message 5 of 10

I was meticulous in setting the requirements for imap connection over ten days ago. I have since spoken to three support agents for an hour each and none suggested what you are proposing, that is to restore full access.  I thought the first agent would do that because she said wait three days but nothing changed. I am frustrated that none of them went beyond the basics, even saying that I should reboot my wifi hub! So if you can get TT to rest the account, in particular the obscured for customer security address, I will be grateful.

Thanks, Geoff

Message 6 of 10

OK, I understand what's happening.  The message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings..." means the email address receiving that notification has now been limited to webmail only access as a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of email connections not secured by TLS 1.2 encryption.

TalkTalk Mail webmail is secure by design when using an up to date Internet browser.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

If the mailbox is limited to webmail only access for both sending and receiving mail, you will be able to get access restored to email apps or email software, including mail collection services, passwords will then re-authenticate, so long as you're ready to use supported email software and secure email settings for all the ways you view emails.

We can advise on device and software compatibility with TLS 1.2 encryption and provide customer setup guides. Just let us know each mail collection service, each device, its operating system and email software including version that are in current use.

Starting with Thunderbird:

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, for any active mailbox that does have IMAP / POP3 access, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready (when you've set a new password). Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full email address and Password is the email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk, tiscali and their sister email addresses are:

Account Type  IMAP secure Email Account
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server (IMAP) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993 (see note below)
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

Note: If you use POP3 then the only difference is in the incoming mail server port that is 995 for POP3 secure.

For a definitive check of email settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. TalkTalk Support will respond here and access will be restored usually within a couple of working days.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Email account holder name

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address(es)
and TalkTalk or MailPlus customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

geoffwbrown
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

In addition, both I and my wife did receive the warning email but we were away so did not act till later.

0 Likes

geoffwbrown
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the reply. Item 2 covers my problem. Talktalk accepts the new password - I enter a new one and confirm with a repeat entry.

Going back to Mozilla I get the authentication failed message when I enter the new password. Throughout this the emails are accessible via webmail using my password as I hold the master password

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

When you say "does not respond to a change of password" what does that mean exact;y?

1. You cannot change the password
  2. You cannot get the email working in Mozilla's Thunderbird email client even with a change of password
  3. The email address is an alias for a master email mailbox address
  4. Something else

Did your wife receive a notification from TalkTalk that she needed to update settings or not be able to receive or send emails other than via TalkTalk Mail webmail?