cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

smtp smarthost

ian17
Participant
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

When I pass an email from my laptop to "smtp.talktalk.net" using my fibre connection, is it necessary to send a user name and a password?  I would assume not, as Talktalk knows where the email is coming from.

If user name and password is necessary on the outgoing service, how may I find what user name and password Talktalk expects me to use?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

OK, I'll work with that and authenticate my emails with a name and password used for one of my talktalk mailboxes.

Thank you Gondola for describing it clearly.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 5

Hi ian17 

TalkTalk does not authenticate the sending of mail from domains other than TalkTalk Mail domains. Port 25 is now blocked to stop the sending of insecure mail.

To send mail from a personal or non-talktalk domain you can use the outgoing smtp server provided by the mail hosting service for that domain.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 5

Thank you Chris.  

I've already seen those settings.  

I use Thunderbird as my email client and it works successfully for me.

The trouble I'm having is with emails sent out automatically from my system.   

They used to go to smtp.talktalk.net on port 25 and that worked OK.  But now port 25 does not respond, so I started sending those auto emails straight to their destinations using SMTP port 25.  That worked for some domains, but Gmail rejected them as my originating IP is registered to Talktalk.  They advised I send outgoing emails through Talktalk.

OK I'm happy to do that, so I use port 587 and STARTTLS.  But it doesn't work as there's an authentication challenge and I don't know what username and password it wants.  As a smarthost, I would expect it to recognise me as a Talktalk customer and to relay my emails to the rest of the internet. 

So that's my question, how can I use smtp.talktalk.net as a smarthost?

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 5

Hi Ian17,

Could you take a look at the following help article and let me know if it helps - Email settings | SMTP, IMAP & POP3 | TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes