cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Can I turn my full fibre off for a few days?

furrybloke
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Probably covered elsewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

If we go on holiday for a few days later this year, is it OK to unplug our modem and Eero router? Or is that likely to cause problems with the connection when we get back?    

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 2 of 10

Hi Michelle, thanks for that. I don’t think the heat being generated by the Eero is currently excessive, but if the situation changes, I’ll let you know.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hello again,

Ok thanks for confirming. I'd imagine that the device should get slightly warm but not hot to the touch. Would you like us to send a replacement to rule this out?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Yes Michelle, the Eero is on a small metal stand so there's plenty of ventilation underneath where it tends to get warm, sometimes even hot. There's nothing around it, so plenty of air flow. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Morning,

Ok, no problem 🙂 Is the eero located in a well ventilated location?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Will do, Michelle.

I would always leave our old broadband router connected if we went away, but it never felt hot to the touch the way this Eero does. 

In all honesty I may leave the equipment connected, but it would be interesting to find out whether a few days "powering down" causes any temporary connectivity issues.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Morning,

Please let us know if you do experience any issues or need any assistance.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Thanks for that, Divsec.

One reason why I want to turn the internet off is because I'd be concerned about the amount of heat generated by the Eero when there's nobody here to keep an eye on it, though perhaps it wouldn't get quite so hot if nobody was in the house and using the WiFi.  As for reconnecting, if the Eero app explains how that's done (the BT Openreach engineer did the initial installation for us) then its no problem and I can follow the instructions. My intention is to turn the whole lot off at the wall then switch it on again when we get home, but if there's a set sequence then I'd better follow it. 

Our home is probably less "smart" than many others so there'd be minimal loss of functionality if we turned the WiFi off for a few days. 

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Hi @furrybloke when you reconnect remember to do so in the same order as installation.

Personally I wouldn't turn my router off, ever. Too many devices use it in a smart home. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes