cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Extremely poor Wi-Fi throughout the house

pyrolizzie
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

I have a Sagemcom-FAST5364 router but have noticed over the last few months that everything connected via Wi-Fi is frequently dropping out.  This includes a SKY Q mini box & a Samsung tablet & Samsung mobile phone.

Can you provide a more upto date router free of charge that might solve my issues.  Really depend on the Wifi for the phones & Sky mini box for my husband who is bedbound & watches SKY via a minibox whilst in bed but as it keeps dropping the signal, it is getting more & more impossible for him to watch things that have been recorded for him.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Lizzie
0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 28

Hi @pyrolizzie 

No problem at all, whenever you can.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

Keith

I have not forgotton about the fact finding I need to do but am waiting for the guy who fitted the CCTV to come back & see if he can get the CCTV to work with wi-fi & having a bit of trouble getting hold of him but am actively chasing him.  He keeps promising to come but not turning up.

Will then have a go at the fact finding & send you the results.

Thanks

Lizzie
0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Hi

Since you removed the optimisation we have only had one drop out in the last 7/10 days so it has been a lot more stable.

I still need to do the fact finding for Keith but don't want to do this until the guy who fitted the CCTV comes back & tries to connect the CCTV system to the wi-fi & I am having trouble getting him back but am actively chasing him.

Liz

Lizzie
0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

Thanks.  I will now do a bit of fact finding for Keith

Lizzie
0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

HIpyrolizzie

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off as requested.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 28

Can you please disable the wifi optimisation as suggested by Keith?

Lizzie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 28

Hi Lizzie,

To change the WiFi SSID (network name) or password, go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz gear icon > Basic

To do the 5GHz band, click the green Home icon near the top of that page & go to:-

Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

and repeat it in there.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 9 of 28

The typo in the previous post of mine has been corrected.

Lizzie
0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 10 of 28

I was struggling to change the password for the wifi access, not the router password, however, I gave up on that & have changed all my devices to use the new login & wifi password for the new router, so solved that part of the issue.

I do not believe that the TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation has been disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364/5464 router so by way of this reply could I ask Talktalk to disable this please?

If you could send me the guide to get some diagnostic results to try once Talktalk has disabled the optimisation issue, I would appreciate it?

Lizzie
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 28

Hi @pyrolizzie 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your WiFi reception issues. First off, have you been able to change the passwords that were struggling with & if not, which one is still the problem? Is it the router (admin) password or the WiFi one?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364/5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

Hi pyrolizzie

Thanks for your reply.

Our Community Star @KeithFrench gives really good advice on improving wireless performance, could you help please Keith?

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Yes got the new router. Its the same make & model as the old one.

The new one is a SAGEMCOM 5634-3 T8

Its now set up & although it is fairly stable it has had a couple of dropouts since I set it up.

Still wondering if i need to upgrade package as I have more than  devices in use, albeit not all at once?

Any additional help appreciated.

Lizzie
0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Morning,

Can I just confirm, have you recently received a replacement router? Which router are you currently using please? (make and model)

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

pyrolizzie
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 28

Chris, tried suggestion fro Buzby but still did not work so resorted to changing username & password on all connected items.

Unfortunately since doing so, my laptop dropped out 5 times yesterday afternoon & evening & the sky Q mini box which also uses wi-fi dropped out last night & had to be reset yet again.

I have also had a CCTV system fitted & the guys cannot get the wi-fi or hard cabling to work so that we can monitor the camera's, so now feel that the signal is so poor in the house that it cannot cope even with the new router.

Would it help to upgrade our fibre package & get an even better router?  We now appear to hav more than 5 devices connected & the current package says it is only suitable for upto 5 devices.  

Also need to let you know that we have two SKY booster boxes & without them can't get SKY Q mini boxes to work but with them we can but only intermittently.  Tried TP LInks but as out bungalow electrics are on 4 different fuses in the fuse board means that if the socket we are plugged into in one part of the bungalow it won't talk to another one in a different part of the bungalow.

Really need to get this sorted asap.

Lizzie
0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

Sorry, thanks Buzby, @pyrolizzie could you try Buzby's suggestion and let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Buzby
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 28

@Chris-TalkTalk 

She is not trying to change the Admin password, just the WiFi password.

I found on mine I had to do it as a two-step process.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Hi pyrolizzie,

Could you take a look at the following help article and confirm that you are following this process - Change your router admin password - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

pyrolizzie
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 28

Struggling to change password.  

Gone into 192.168.1.1 Login & to wifi settings & found the right page and managed to changed Username but it just isnt registering the password.  Have reset the router & tried at least 6 times but still no luck.

Any assistance please?

Lizzie
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 28

Hi pyrolizzie,

If you need any further assistance please let us know

Chris

0 Likes