cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre Broadband Speed Accuracy

jerryf
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Just received an email from "info@consumer.talktalk.co.uk" stating that my average broadband spee is 67Mbps.  My package is Fibre65.

If my average braodband speed is 67Mbps then at times it must significantly exceed that speed (simple estimate 90Mbps) to achieve the stated average.  My actual broadband speed is usually around the 45 - 47 Mbps whenever I check it.

The message from TalkTalk also states that I have used 137 Gb of data over 3 months which seems a little high given we don't use Netflix or other streaming services but do have Freeview.

So my question is who and how are the figures in the email being derived and why do they differ significantly from my day to day experience.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

OK, thanks Jerry. I've fed this back to the relevant team, apologies for any confusion

Chris

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 10

Ok, I've just received the same email myself. I guess all customers will be getting them in due course.

Apparently I've used "350Gb" of data in the last 3 months, so that could be personalised (I've no idea how much data I've used), but it also quotes the average speed of 67Mb/s (my speed is more like 35 Mb/s) so it looks suspiciously like they've just put in the generic marketing figure in there.  Either the "your average broadband speed" it poorly worded or else they've meant to insert a personalised speed figure and it has gone wrong somehow, and neither of those 2 options would be anything new for TalkTalk.

I also notice that the data used figure near the top of the email is quoted in Gb (Gigabits) but the small print at the bottom of the email quotes calculations based on GB (Gigabytes) of data downloaded, so the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

In any case, TalkTalk's packages are all unlimited data and as long as my service is working and I'm getting the speed I expect, I'm not going to worry too much about it.

0 Likes

jerryf
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 10

Hi Chris

Yes the data did look wrong - hence my initial post

Email was received 16:04, 14/12/23

Regards

Jerry

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

OK thanks. That appears to be specific information to your account looking at the wording but the data appears to be incorrect. And you've received it today?

Chris

0 Likes

jerryf
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 10

Hi Chris

No, the email does not include either my account number or telephone number, just my first name with a greeting - see below:

jerryf_0-1702641319643.png

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Hi jerryf,

Does the email contain your landline telephone number and/or your account number?

Chris

0 Likes

jerryf
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 10

Hi Allym

Below is extract from TalkTalk email to me regarding broadband speed.

If it is an average over the whole Fibre 65 customer base then it should say so rather than appearing to be personal to the addressee, especially as the email also states my personal data usage unless that is another generalised average.

My concern here is potential misleading presentation of performance rather than any problem with the connection itself.

jerryf_1-1702634429991.png

jerryf_0-1702634000922.png

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi Jerry,

Line test is clear, connection looks stable and current sync speed is within the predicted range for your line

Chris

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

@jerryf ,

Average 67Mbps is the marketing figure often used to advertise the Fibre65 product. It's supposed to be the average speed of all customers on the Fibre65 package. I have no idea how or when they calculated that. I suspect the email is referring to that rather than a specific figure for your line. Perhaps you could copy and paste the wording of the email on here?

The only figure that really matters is the guaranteed minimum for your line which you should be able to see when doing a speed test via My Account and should have been advised to you when you took out your contract.

0 Likes