cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Modem Mode - D-Link DSL-3782

Snowman5395
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

Hello,

I have been a TalkTalk customer for quite a few years and have what is probably an old D-Link DSL-3782 modem/router.  I'd like to get my own OpenWRT router and put the TalkTalk router into modem mode.  But from everything I gather this isn't possible.

Just wondering if anyone knows what my options are.  Is modem mode actually possible?  Or are TalkTalk likely to provide me with a newer model that does have modem mode?  I'd rather actually get something running in modem mode rather than double NAT or using OpenWRT as an access point.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 15

Hi @Snowman5395 

I did exactly point out that it did not support modem mode.

I also offered a way of configuring it to work, as well as help on double NAT which I appreciate that you do not want to do. However, it is easy and as I pointed out it only has an impact if you want to use port forwarding.

I have not offered specific advice because I did not know which WiFi Hub you would get.

Please bear in mind that none of us, including @Debbie-TalkTalk or @Michelle-TalkTalk from TalkTalk, have control over the products that TalkTalk supply, we just support them.

You are free to use a 3rd party modem or modem/router of your choice.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

@Debbie-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi Snowman5395

I can see that @KeithFrenchhas offered some advice on this.

Hi Debbie,

Not quite.  @KeithFrench very kindly offered some advice on double NAT'ing but this isn't really what I want to do.  Modem mode would put the TalkTalk router into a sort of "pass through" mode for customers that don't want to user the router functions of the TT hub.  It's a fairly standard feature with other ISPs and one that I see has been requested by other customers for a few years now. 

Probably worth understanding this in case you get other customers request it so save on plastic waste of issuing new routers needlessly.  But thank you for trying to help and thank you to the community members too @KeithFrench @martswain .

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

@Snowman5395  please read post #9 from @KeithFrench 

You cannot put ANY TT supplied router/HUB into modem-only mode.

Message 4 of 15

Hi Snowman5395

I can see that @KeithFrench has offered some advice on this.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hi Michelle-TalkTalk,

Thanks for the follow up.  I have just hooked up the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub this morning.  I can't see a way of putting it into modem mode in the administration console though (advanced or not).  Do you have any instructions for this?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 15

Sorry, @Snowman5395 no current TalkTalk router, including whichever one @Debbie-TalkTalk, has sent you supports modem mode. However, as I said before, I can talk you through configuring it to do what you want, but it will be a double NAT scenario. This is simple, as I said, to deal with.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi Snowman5395

Ah no problem 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

That's brilliant, thank you so much.

Message 10 of 15

Hi Snowman5395

All done 🙂 The router is on its way.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 11 of 15

Thanks Keith.  Let's see if the new router that Debbie has kindly offered will allow modem mode.  I'd prefer that so I can organise my LAN a bit more simply.  Thank you though!

Message 12 of 15

Brilliant thank you, done.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 15

Hi Snowman5395

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then send you a new router.

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

Modem mode is not possible, I do have a way around that, but it will create a double NAT scenario. However, that only becomes an issue if you are going to be using port forwarding, but depending on the configuration of your main router, it is easy enough to set up. I have done it many times & regularly use it.

Keith