cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

No internet

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

I was recently upgraded to full fibre, which has been working fine. Came home yesterday to find only three green lights (no service light) on the ONT and a steady orange light on the router. Now awaiting an engineer visit after reporting the problem to TalkTalk.

Later in the evening, I noticed that the ONT was now correctly showing all four green lights, but the router still won't connect to the internet (I'm using my mobile data to write this).

Any ideas?

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Thanks for the update, glad you got it sorted. Apologies for the confusion with the engineer

Chris

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 14

I was told that an engineer visit had been booked for 1PM today, so when nobody had turned up by 2PM, I rang TalkTalk to query the delay.

I spoke to a very helpful agent who, despite not having a technical role, had enough technical knowledge (and systems access) to fix the problem remotely! Turns out that my router profile was set to the wrong type of device (i.e. the profile was set to the router that has a voice port; mine doesn't) and needed to be corrected, after which normal service could be resumed after resetting the router.

It also turns out that an engineer visit had been requested from City Fibre, who had not received an answer from TalkTalk to their request for a time slot! The fault ticket is to be closed, which will also cancel the request for an engineer.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

if the router is working on the old FTTC line then it looks as though the router is OK so was worth trying 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 14

Just tried it, and it works! Does that shed any light on the issue, or have I only succeeded in confusing things?

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 5 of 14

Okay, will do, thanks. Something else has just occurred to me, though...

I posted a query a while back, essentially wanting to know what happens to the data element of my telephone signal now that I have full fibre. I was advised that this would eventually be switched off, and that I could meanwhile disconnect my phone line from the router. Assuming that the 'switch off' still hasn't happened yet...

Any point in quickly disconnecting the ONT from the router's WAN port and reconnecting the telephone cable to try testing the router  'the old-fashioned way'?

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Yes, please let us know how the engineer visit goes and if you then do need a replacement router please let us know

Chris

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 14

Wouldn't hurt, I suppose, but I wonder if it might be better to wait until after the engineer visit I mentioned, which has been arranged for 1PM today, just in case the router turns out not to be the cause (I posted here thinking there might be a quick and obvious solution that made bothering an engineer unnecessary). I'll post an appropriate update here in any case.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

OK thanks, I can send another router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 9 of 14

Not sure if this helps or confuses, but my router, being fairly old, might be reaching the end of its useful life because there have been a few occasions recently, both before and since my full fibre upgrade, when I have had to restart the router after becoming 'connected without internet'.

Probably still doesn't explain the temporary absence of the ONT's service light, though.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 10 of 14

No, unfortunately.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Do you have a laptop that you can connect directly to the ONT with an Ethernet cable?

Chris

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Hi

Sorry to appear dense, but what exactly should I connect directly to the ONT if I remove the router? 

Just for info, the ONT and router are on opposite sides of the room, and are connected via a long Ethernet cable running around the room under the carpet. The router itself is located next to my PC tower and is networked using powerline adapters requiring only short lengths of Ethernet cable. If I have to start a removal/connection exercise, cabling issues may make this a pain. 

EDIT: I could remove the ONT's Ethernet cable from the router's red WAN port and connect the cable directly to my PC in place of the cable that currently connects my PC to one of the router's yellow Ethernet ports. Is that what we're trying to achieve?

FURTHER EDIT: Even if that worked, I still wouldn't have a network. All it would prove is that the ONT is working, and surely the fact that the ONT is showing four green lights proves that without the need to start interfering with cables, etc.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, if you remove the router and connect directly at the ONT, does the connection then work?

Thanks

0 Likes