cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Portforwarding for Jellyfin on Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100136

Jamesem
First Timer
Private Message
Message 9 of 9
  • Hello I have a Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100136.
  • I am trying to port forward so I can reach my Jellyfin server from WAN as I have done before with a Plex server
  • I can see that Jellyfin has added its own record using uPNP but for some reason that is not working. When Plex did this it worked.
  • Jamesem_0-1681302172419.png

• The port is 8090
  • I added the record manually but again I still cannot connect from an external network.

I've tried various things but cannot get this to work. I even put my host temporarily in the DMZ and yet this did still not work.

Please no advice telling me to set up a reverse proxy. I know. For now I want to get this to work.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 9

I am glad that you sorted it, but if you had told me that you decided to use a different port number, it would have been much easier. The most important thing is that the application in question must open the same port as your port forwarding. It is the responsibility of the application to open the port, not the router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hi Kieth,

I've got this sorted out. I switched back to the default port used by Jellyfin (8096) and that worked without issue.

Thanks for  your help.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 9

The firewall will need a rule for this port, otherwise, it will never be open.

Please can you go to the Windows command prompt and enter this:-

netstat -an | find "8090"

Then press Enter. Please get me a screenshot of the output (or copy & paste it here.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9
  • The application is currently running on a Windows PC.
  • Yes the inbound rules have been set in the Windows firewall
  • Even without the rules set would port checker still not show the port as open?
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

What sort of device is this application running on? If a PC, have you allowed an inbound rule for this port?

Keith

0 Likes

Jamesem
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 9

Hi Keith,

• Thanks for the response. I have disabled UPnP and am now only using manual rules.
  • I've removed all old rules to start from a clean slate.
  • I've added the rule but the port is still showing as closed. I can't think of any reason for this.Jamesem_0-1681303953180.pngJamesem_0-1681304064436.png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Jamesem@ferguson has asked me to help you. Do not use UPnP at all, it is highly insecure. Create a rule manually. I have just tried this port & it worked the first time:-

PF rulePF rule

Using a port checker:-

Port checkerPort checker

Keith

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

@KeithFrench One for you, my friend?