cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

TalkTalk D-link DSL-3782 router as modem only, with a Netgear AX1800 as router.

roger159
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

Hi all, I'm having issues setting up my D-link DSL-3782 router as a modem only. I have turned off wifi and DHCP on the D-Link but cannot get internet via wifi or ethernet after setting up my AX1800.

Any help gratefully received.

Roger159.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 11

The other option @roger159 is to connect a LAN port on the 3782 to a WAN port on the 3rd party router.

The advantage is:-

You keep the full functionality of the Netgear, rather than just consigning it to be a wireless AP.

The disadvantage is:-

You have created a double NAT environment. This is not an issue if you do not need to use port forwarding, but if you do, then I can talk you through configuring it.

Configuration:-

In this case disable bridge mode, which disables all routing within your Netgear anyway. Then set the Netgear to have an IP address that is not on the 192.168.1.0 IP network (perhaps 192.168.2.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0). Then re-enable the DHCP server on your own router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

roger159
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your help Keith. I'll try your suggestions over the next few days.

Regards,

Roger.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 11

Hi @roger159 

I should have also said that you might need to put your 3rd party router into bridge mode as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 11

Hi @roger159,

OK, so everything will need to be on the same IP network then. With the 3782 in its default configuration and its WiFi disabled, turn your attention to the Netgear. Set its IP address to something like 192.168.1.2/24 and disable its DHCP server. Then in the 3782's DHCP server, set the IP address range to 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254.

Let me know what happens & I'll help you further if you want it.

Keith

0 Likes

roger159
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

Hi Keith, thanks for your reply. I have taken an Ethernet lead from one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the D-Link to the yellow RJ45 socket, called "Internet" on the Netgear router as per their instructions.

Regards,

Roger. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 11

Hi @roger159 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. Exactly how are you connecting them together in respect of an Ethernet cable? Is is LAN on the 3782 to LAN on the Netgear, or LAN on the 3782 to WAN on the Netgear?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Is this something that you can offer any advice on please?

Thanks

Michelle

roger159
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 11

Hi Bill, The Netgear router needs a modem which the D-Link should provide, but it doesn't function.

Roger.

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

Who makes the AX1800. And why don't you connect the AX1800 directly, without any D-link DSL-3782. I think I've heard that the D-link DSL-3782 is quite an old model, previously used by TalkTalk.

EDIT: oh, I just noticed, it's by Netgear.

Bill

0 Likes