cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Throttling back Work VPN Connection?

Squidge87
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 20

Hi,

I have an issue whereby I am being throttled back on my Work VPN connection, I work in IT (for the same company) and there are no issues our side. My fibre connection is stable at 65/70mbps but the VPN connection fluctuating between 0.5mbps - 20mbps

I do not get throttled back on my Work VPN connection if I hotspot from my mobile to the laptop.

My router has been restarted several times aswell as laptop.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Good morning,

How has your connection been over the weekend?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Good morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂 We'll check back in with you early next week to just to ensure that your connection is still ok.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Chris,

All seems good now, whatever the network issue was TalkTalk end has now been resolved

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi Squidge87,

How are you getting on, are you still experiencing the same performance issues with your VPN?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Squidge87,

Could I just ask, if you are in touch with any of your colleagues who are TalkTalk customers and have the same issue it would be helpful if they could register on the community and post on the thread

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

OK, leave it with me. I'll check with our network team and let you know when I have an update

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi Chris,

Nope no updates, as mentioned I can successfully hotspot from my mobile to the same laptop/vpn connection and is perfectly fine.

Another colleague has spoken with another TalkTalk support team member and they have advised its an issue with TalkTalk and NASSTAR

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

And there was no update of any kind on the laptop or to the VPN?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi Chris,

I have also swapped out routers to an older one (which has now caught up on firmware updates) and regardless of what network I connect to the Work VPN connection speed is drastically being throttled.

Speaking with our Service Desk a lot of TalkTalk users are experiencing the same issue and have been since late yesterday afternoon.

I can confirm we are using SSTP as the protocol for the VPN connection.

** I will mention that I work for the NHS and this is the VPN connection I am having

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

OK thanks. Which OS is on the laptop and which VPN client are you using?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Its not where it should be as its still throttling back, but doesn't seem to be going lower than the mid teens so is enough not to start freezing up RDP sessions.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

The router has the latest firmware version. Has the speed improved on the 2.4GHz band?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

I have now connected to the 2.4Ghz WiFi (was using 5Ghz, have separate SSID) and seems a little more stable for the Work VPN connection

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi Chris,

Connected via WiFi however shouldn't make any difference at all as the download speed I get from fast.com for example is 65/70mbps which is expected.

Please check the firmware versions, its unusable the Work VPN connection so I am having to resort to hotspotting from mobile.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Thanks for trying that. I've checked the line history for Tuesday, everything looks fine, no interruption to service. The router firmware version that you have is unlikely to have only just been updated too. Is your laptop connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi Chris,

Router switched off for over half an hour and still the same.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

OK thanks, could you switch the router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

Hi Chris,

Yes it started late Tuesday afternoon, I have looked through the router logs and nothing jumping out (ignoring DNS issues with some work hosts that no longer exist but seemingly still exists within some group policies!)

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi Squidge87,

Welcome to the Community, is this something that only started happening recently?

Chris

0 Likes