cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

uSING THE ROUTER USB socket

Bluebeard23
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 2

I have an HG633 router on FTTC. The router bit has worked just fine for years but I have decided I want to use the USB socket on the router to connect an SSD as a common storage element. Reading the words it appears to say I can access the USB connected SSD using my browser and the search string of \\192.168.1.1. I have tried using the brave browser that I normally use and it says something about there is nothing there. So I tried the M/S browser which shows all sorts of junk about talking to my router to connect broadband but nothing about the USB socket and whats plugged there. The router says I have to enable SAMBA which is enabled, I've also enabled anonymise users. Should I be doing anything else?

ram
0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

The problem is that this port uses the SMB V1 protocol for file sharing. Microsoft has said that you should never use this version as it is very insecure. So much so, that they have also removed the V1 client needed to access the USB port on the HG633 from Windows 10 & 11. You can reinstall this I think at the moment but it is totally at your own risk and it might get retired from Windows altogether at some point.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes