cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Faulty router (again)

Mark1988
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

Hi, my router has stopped working again, exactly the same problem as the last few routers. Constantly dropping out on all devices. Could I please have another replacement router ordered? 

Very fed up with this being a re-occurring issue now. This is the third router which has had exactly the same problem. This one has only lasted since June last year, much worse than the last two.

Mark.

IMG_4093.jpegIMG_4092.jpeg
0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi @Mark1988 

That's great, if you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Hi Debbie, yes it has arrived thank you, so far it is working fine, fingers crossed it stays okay. Thank you for your help, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Message 3 of 22

Hi Mark

Did the router arrive over the weekend?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Hi Mark

I've checked again and the router is showing as dispatched.

Please let us know if you haven't received this by Saturday.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Hi Debbie, no I haven’t received anything yet, last time I had an email saying it had been dispatched 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Hi Mark

Have you received the router or received a text with the delivery notification?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 22

Hi Mark,

These routers are generally reliable, but TalkTalk on here often send out replacements, in case there is a problem, That does not mean there is a problem though. I use a TalkTalk Sagemcom router by choice, all the time without issue. A dry joint suddenly appearing in the circuit board of each router that you have had, is incredibly unlikely.

Levels of Wi-Fi interference can change by the minute or even less sometimes. If one of your neighbours has for instance got a new router or there has been a channel change at some point, this could easily account for the problems that you have had with all of your routers.

However, I cannot say for definite that is what the problem is & my help not only proves this one way or the other, but also helps to optimise your WiFi network. My help is free of charge and you do not have to accept my offer, that is up to you.

If you do want my help though, after trying the next replacement router, please let me know along with the make/model of the router that @Debbie-TalkTalk has sent you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 8 of 22

Hi Mark

It takes around 24-48hrs to arrive (from when first ordered)

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Yes I will do, how long roughly does the replacement router take to arrive?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Keith, I didn’t have any problems with my previous providers in the house (apart from Openreach accidentally turning mine and several other houses off when they did a cabinet upgrade), and when I get the replacement routers they are fine for quite a while, but then suddenly drop connections to all devices constantly. When the routers are new they work fine, so I do believe it is an issue with the routers, and reading through here they seem to send out a lot of replacement routers from people suffering the same issues. Not sure if it could be dry joints developing on the circuit boards causing intermittent issues, but I’ve had three routers with exactly the same issues now. Hopefully this one works better!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 22

Hi @Mark1988 

With the number of routers that you have had, I really can't see that this is a router issue itself. However, now that @Debbie-TalkTalk has sent you out another one, if you still have the same issue, I am sure that I can help you. Just let me know if you want this help & which make/model of router you have been supplied with this time.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 13 of 22

Hi Mark

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Okay thank you, I will try that when it arrives.

Message 15 of 22

Hi Mark

Ok, I will send out a replacement router now.

It would also be worth powering down your current router for a full 30 minutes too.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Hi Debbie, we have never had any issues with other companies or routers, and both times previously you sent out a replacement router for the faulty one. It worked fine for a while until the router started to go wrong again. I’d like a replacement router so we can get the internet back for a while. This is the third one that has had exactly the same problem, assessing wireless performance or congestion will make no difference. The first one was fine for a year or so, the second just under two years, but this one has only managed 10 months before it has gone wrong.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi Mark

Our Community Star @KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance.

Would you like me to ask Keith to take a look and see if it's a wireless congestion or interference issue?

The router should not become faulty this often.

Message 18 of 22

Hi Ferguson, yes it is a wifi issue, the routers work fine for a while, but then all devices stop getting wifi signal and constantly drop off the wifi. A new router solves the problem for a while, but then the routers go back to having the same problem, I don’t get mobile signal where I live, so when the routers go wrong we have no internet. Haven’t had this problem with previous companies/routers so it is an issue with the talk talk routers (and reading through here is also a relatively common problem). 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi Debbie, we don’t use any wired connections

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Hi Mark

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Can I just check, are wired connections also dropping out?

0 Likes