cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

1.8 gpbs down?!

jacksparrow
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

I am back again, asking about openreach's website. Last time, I asked about the 220 upload they had on their website and why every provider would only offer 120. The pricetag for the 220 was scary, to say the least.

I just got an ad on IG from openreach, this time boasting download speeds of up to 1800 Mbps. Went to the website to check it out and there it is. The upload speed now only caps out at 120, which is weird considering it used to be 220 for the past couple weeks. Would anyone kindly find out how much it'd be to get that 1.8gbps down?

jacksparrow_0-1712343096231.png

openreach's website now. used to say 1100/1000 down and 220 up. Now its 1800 down and 120 up.

Ahoy!
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

As you'd discovered, it's all about sharing the optical links with other customers and the speed limitations of the existing GPON network design. The development of XGSPON (S = symmetrical downstream and upstream) will also bring higher speeds and because different optical wavelengths are used it can be delivered over the same optical fibre. Some Alt-net providers designed their networks from the outset using XGSPON technology.  

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

jacksparrow
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 4

thanks for the info. Went through the ispreview page and everyone (including me) has come to the conclusion that this doesn't really make sense. instead of chasing symmetrical speeds, theyre going for only download. Realistically, no one will actually upgrade from the present 900/115 if its like 20£ more expensive per month and the upload is still stuck at 120. 1800/120 just looks weird in the first place. With such high down, you'd expect either symmetrical, or at least gigabit up.

Ahoy!
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

The standard wholesale annual rental price for 1800/120 from Openreach is £500.88 pa excluding VAT and special discounts. This compares with £458.76 for 1000/115 usually sold by ISP's as the top tier FTTP as 900Mbps. Any ISP getting special discounts can usually reduce the wholesale price of 1800/120 to £363.36pa.  ISPreview covered this product launch back in February.

TalkTalk does not currently offer the 1800/120 product in its product portfolio. Your biggest problem is finding an ISP that does retail the 1800/120 product. Some people do have the product as a trial service.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution