cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

900mbps seems a myth.

Waggzy
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

Hi, so I have the 900mbps package. My eero pro 6 app states a speed of 900+, but any other testing will never go above 420mbps. I test it on Ookla Speedtest, Google Speedtest, Fast.com, PS5, and an Android phone. 

What am I doing wrong? 

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Thank you, I'll do that 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 18

You could look at WiFi 6 USB3 adapters in that case. Had it been a tower, there are quite a few WiFi6E cards for about £30 these days.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 18

Laptop. It's the PS5 I'm really wanting to get up to full speed. I think I'll have to get a Cat8 LAN and connect it to the router that way.

Thank you all for your help.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 18

Alas, you'll never get anything like 900M on that then. You would need a faster WiFi card then, probably at least a WiFi 6 card. Is it a tower desktop or laptop etc?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 18

Yes, it's 433.3 on both.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Thanks, that's that then.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Receive and transmit both 433.3

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 18

Yes, @ferguson I am on CityFibre.

@Waggzy OK, so the upload is about right then. Please can you confirm some data link rates as per my previous reply?

Keith

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 18

@Waggzy 

Those numbers look about right, Openreach services are asymmetric.

@KeithFrench 

Is your network supplier different? I get Openreach Fibre 150 and get pretty much the max advertised at 150 down/30 up. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 18

That is weird, it should get a higher upload speed. On Fibre 150 I get an upload of around 150M. Can you try another cable of at least cat 6 between the Eero & ONT?

What link rates do you get on your devices, on a Windows PC this can be found via the command prompt with:-

netsh wlan show interface

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

933mbps download

112mbps upload

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 18

In the Eero app, what does that say that the speed is?

Keith

0 Likes

Waggzy
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 18

(Reply posted above in error.)

Secondly, the actual telegraph pole is right outside my outside wall, around ten feet from the OpenReach box in the house, and the devices are well within direct line of sight of the router.

0 Likes

Waggzy
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 18

Thank you both for your replies.

Michelle, I've just tried your suggestion. I plugged the PS5 directly into the OpenReach box on the wall using the short LAN cable provided by the installer. The PS5 was unable to connect with the wired LAN setting. When the eero is plugged back into the OpenReach box, it connects over Wi-Fi with no issues, but the speed shown by the console is only 346.6mbps. 

Can I check, is the LAN cable provided an actual CAT8 cable? As Keith points out, the connection will only be as strong as the weakest link.

Thank you.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 18

Hi @Waggzy 

The Full Fibre 900 package often means that customers do achieve the speeds that they think they should (obviously around 900Mbps). This is very often not an issue or design of the 900Mbps service, but the connection between their devices and the router. The Wi-Fi network adapters in these devices often cannot deliver speeds as fast as the fibre service can.

Take the example of some older Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) adapters that might work at speeds up to 433Mbps, when used in a perfect wireless environment, which most homes are not. When an internet speed test is performed, the speed achieved is down to the slowest link in the chain, namely the 433Mbps Wi-Fi adapter. Speed tests in this case might achieve somewhere around 400Mbps or less.

Older Ethernet connections can suffer as well. If a device only supports the 10/100Mbps standard, not the normal 1000M (1Gbps) or even the newer 2.5Gbps available on some desktop PCs, they are likely to only record 100Mbps on a speed test.

To get the 900Mbps on a speed test, that device must either have a minimum of a 1Gbps Ethernet connection or if wireless, a much faster WiFi adapter. This would be a higher specification Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) or Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) adapter. Even so, at these wireless speeds, signal quality must be near perfect (signal strength with very little Wi-Fi interference).

Keith

Message 16 of 18

Hi Waggzy,

Can I just confirm, what speeds do you see if you run a wired speed test directly at the ONT with the eero removed?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Waggzy
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

I have had the package for around four months so far.

0 Likes