cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Fitting Ethernet

Gryphin
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

So my fibre comes to house from roof near bedroom above front door. Then follows drain pipes to dinning room and into modem. 

I want ethernet cable to run the same route as fibre but to go into bedroom. So there will be socket in dining room and bedroom so I can get wired internet as WiFi is awful. 

Who would I contract for this, does talktalk do it. Or is there another company that does ethernet installs?

I wish when they asked where I want fibre modem I said upstairs would of been easier for them but I just picked same place as old internet left a whole in wall. 

Thanks for any help. 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

I've got powerline adapters It's what I've been using lately but there not good I get about 70 MBs. And the problem I was having with them was they would randomly disconnecting and I would have to turn off and on again at socket. I research problem and for like 7 years of multiple models people having same problem and TP Link not done anything about it.

One workaround I found was using a PingoMeter that runs in task bar and ping google (8.8.8.8) every 3 seconds and that seems to stop them from disconnecting/timing out. I think it's happened once since using Ping program instead of 20 times a day.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Sorry for late reply, I was testing new router before replying.

I'm getting much better speed and signal strength but still randomly loses signal or bad signal in bedroom. (must be a dead zone)

I know you can help fitting outside cable etc but is it just contracting local tradesperson? OpenReach/TalkTalk don't offer anything? and Do I need council permission for fitting ethernet cable? As TalkTalk drilled into house without permission (unless certain things are allowed).

0 Likes

Elgin19
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

Just a suggestion from a customer - if you cannot add ethernet cabling yourself, then an alternative solution might be to add a powerline adapter kit such as TL-WPA8631P KIT. Look it up to see the specs.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 12

Hi @Gryphin 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you, however, I certainly do not offer any installation services myself. If you cannot do the work yourself, then you would have to find a local tradesperson to do it for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Morning,

Thanks for the update. @KeithFrench  would you be able to offer any additional advice please?

Michelle

Message 6 of 12

Got new TP-Link Wifi 6 Router, and it gives me better signal strength and allows me to split 2G and 5G wifi which helps.

The main problem still is the front bedroom is better but signal is constantly jumping around and 5G randomly disconnects because of poor signal strength still. Same with back bedroom on same side.

I don't know if it will be cheaper hiring someone to fit ethernet sockets or to run a Access Point with Power over ethernet and put a AP somewhere near stairs so it has better signal strength.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

If you've ordered a new router then I would give that a try first as you shouldn't really need to run an additional Ethernet cable. 

Chris

0 Likes

Gryphin
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 12

No nothing, I use to get good wifi on old TalkTalk router but with new Eero it just really bad in the front bedroom and back bedroom on right side of house.

I have ordered a new TP Link router with better antennas and hopefully that fixes it, if not I was going to look into wired.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Thanks for the diagram, and the wireless signal in the bedroom is poor? Is the router situated close to any wireless or other electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris

0 Likes

Gryphin
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12

I've added a quick image, sorry for childish drawing (laughing) thought it would be easier than explaining.

front housefront house

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi Gryphin,

Is the bedroom where you want the ethernet cable to run to, directly above where the router is now?

Chris

0 Likes