cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Freedom Fibre - Own Router Settings?

danbloor
First Timer
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Can anyone provide config settings for using your own router with the Freedom Fibre FTTP setup?

I'm using a UniFi UDM Pro and have tried obvious settings - everything auto, setting to DHCP but specifying VLAN 1, 101,911 and 981, even tried MAC address cloning but no joy. 

If I connect my TalkTalk WiFi Hub 2 to the ONT it works fine, but even if I connect my laptop directly to the ONT it won't pick up an address from DHCP (hence me trying MAC address cloning on the UDM).

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

fpaul
Participant
Private Message
Message 1 of 11

Yeah, it's just used for Ethernet level QoS rather than really being VLAN as such, never bothered personally, but I don't understand why you'd want to make it visible to the end user.

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 2 of 11

I have a Unifi UDMBase and can confirm that VLAN TAG 0 is required for TalkTalk. Does appear an odd thing but it was the only option that worked.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for confirming.

Thanks

0 Likes

fpaul
Participant
Private Message
Message 4 of 11

VLAN 0 would be odd as it's a reserved tag (edit: Well, Ok, they could be using the priority bits but it still seems a slightly odd approach).

But glad to hear you've got it working.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Just off the phone to Freedom Fibre and we've got it working.

They explained they usually tag VLAN 0, but have been having issues with that recently and have a command they run on the ONT to turn off VLAN tagging. I could have just set VLAN 0 on my router, but figured it's easier in future troubleshooting if VLAN tagging is turned off so I asked them to do that, which they happily did.

So for anyone else in my scenario, either set to DHCP and VLAN 0, or just ask them politely to turn off VLAN tagging.

fpaul
Participant
Private Message
Message 6 of 11

OK.

I must admit that the photos I've seen include which VLAN tag (how would you set it up otherwise) but I think they were of the older Wi-Fi Hub and TT could have removed the setting on the Hub 2.

Assuming that you have a laptop or desktop PC onto which you are willing/able to install wireshark (https://www.wireshark.org) then you could figure out the VLAN id by plugging the WAN interface from the Wi-Fi Hub 2 into the PC's Ethernet socket and looking at the traffic.

Obviously you won't get an IP address allocated but you should be able to use wireshark to dump the traffic from the Wi-Fi Hub, which will consist of DHCP frames, but you can see which VLAN id is being used.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Tried this, but unfortunately even within the advanced settings it only shows that it's set to DHCP and VLAN Tagging is enabled (but not which VLAN!). The only other info on the page is the current IP address/subnet mask/gateway.

0 Likes

fpaul
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Although I've never had a TT Wi-Fi Hub 2 I belivee it has a web UI (on 192.168.1.1 but the settings and passwords should be on the back of the router).

You should be able to look at the WAN settings if you go into "internet connection" and then "advanced".

0 Likes

danbloor
First Timer
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi Michelle

How do I do that? They called me from a withheld number to arrange install and I’ve not had an email from them at all with any details etc. yet. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hello,

I'd recommend contacting the Freedom Fibre Team directly as they will be able to offer further assistance.

Thanks

0 Likes