cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Full fibre terminates landline

bobcoc
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

I was offered free fibre optic connection with no contract specified. After installation yesterday, the landline no longer works. The publicity stated that a landline would be unaffected. The internet works fine. I'm a journalist and we have little or no mobile signal in our location, so a reliable phone line is essential. 

Bob
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Morning,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

City Fibre were the installers but the individual who fitted the cables and sockets was reluctant to discuss settings. His job was to provide the hardware, which is understandable. I'm puzzled that there was no mention of the abolition of the old landline connection. However, all is working well add streaming TV has rarely been better.

Bob

Message 3 of 8

Glad to hear that you are all sorted, @bobcoc!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Panic over. The old copper wire phone wire no longer works, but I had missed a sticker on the back of the router concealing a phone connection point. I plugged the hands-free set into it and all was fine. It would have helped if the engineer had mentioned that the old line was redundant, but that apart, I have no complaints about the full fibre service. Just a red face over failing to spot the VOIP connection point.

Bob

Tunezy
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

This sounds really frustrating @bobcoc - especially if you were told the landline would be unaffected.

Do you know if your new full fibre is being provided by the CityFibre or Openreach network (you might have heard from them to schedule the installation)? Was there any mention of "VoIP" or "Voice over IP" in any communications or with the installer? Do you have your landline phone plugged into the previous copper socket on the wall, or into the back of the broadband router?

Situations like this could be really quite impactful for vulnerable people, or people in rural areas with poor signal - might be a good story in it to get people more aware of the risks of migrations/upgrades gone wrong?

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Hi bobcoc,

Can you update your profile as Gliwmaeden2 has requested

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Add your Talktalk phone number  / account number in Personal Information, @bobcoc, for staff to identify your account. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings. SAVE CHANGES. 

Please wait for staff to respond before posting further. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes