cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

How do I add more ports?

Stokie1
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

I have just ordered a package which includes an EERO 6 router. My problem is that it comes with only two ports. One will be used for the EERO connection, one for the landline , and I also have a HIVE heating system which I need to plug into the router. I have rung Talk Talk techincal support to ask if there is anything I can add to allow me to create this extra port. However, the advisor just told me i would have to pay for an addition router, but she wan't sure if that would help! Please can someone advise me what I can do before my cooling off period expires? 

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 9

@Stokie1 

Further, I said that going the Eero route, one is forced to join the amazon network.

One of the things I meant, is that one is forced to use an external app, an app that needs to connect to the Amazon network, in order to use and operate the Eero router, instead of using an app included within the router itself, which used to be the traditional way of doing things. After one decides to use an external app, one needs to use an external device, a mobile phone, to use the app. So that's 2 additional things that are required, after one decides to use 3 connection boxes. Very convenient, isn't it?/S

Thanks for your attention.

Bill

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

@Stokie1 

The add-on is called a gigabit switch, to easily get the required extra ports, for extra devices (it is not called gigabyte)

But that would mean, one would have 3 connection boxes to do one connection to TalkTalk.

Bill

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 9

Hi @Stokie1 

Personally, I would avoid the advice from that other poster. 

To setup an eero network you use the eero app. Within that app you have to create an account. That can either be your Amazon account, or you can create another account if you wish. The main thing that requires an additional service from Amazon, is eero secure, but that is all included in your TalkTalk package. If you want, I can PM you a guide of mine on using the eero app.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

Hi, @Stokie1 

Eero is a subsidiary of Amazon. Amazon is a very large company.

Eero writes the software for the Eero router, and to make the Eero work, it includes all sorts of stuff from Amazon, ie through the Amazon network. Obviously for the benefit of Amazon. I think you get it.

Bill

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

Hi @Stokie1 

I am afraid you have been given some wrong information. You use your Amazon account or create another account not linked to your Amazon account within the eero app initially, but that is all as far as setting up an eero network is concerned. An example of the sort of switch that I referred to is:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PYSNSDD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=... 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi Bill,.

and thank you for your in depth reply.

I am a little confused as to why I would be joining the Amazon network,if you could explain I would be very grateful.

I am still well within the cooling off period so if needs dictate I can cancel.

I am disappointed that the Eero Pro 6 only has two ports ,which for me isn't sufficient,so means I actually buy a gigabyte add on,unless I but another eero which I probably dont need .

So in reality ,I would have a router with not enough ports,with a Gigabyte add on,which won't look that good to the eye..

Would the eero be sufficient for a three bed house without a second Eero and useing just the add on,or would it diminish the power in any way.... I am very grateful for your in depth reply,the information has helped me immensely.

Any further advice would be greatly received. 

Many Thanks Bill 

Mark

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Yes, @Stokie1 

As the other poster said, you can easily buy a gigabit switch, whether before or after the cooling-of period,

But the trouble with that is that you'll end up with 3 connection boxes, rather than 1.

That's one of the disadvantages of using the Eero 6 or Eero Pro 6.

You are also meant to use the Eero together with an additional Eero to create a 'mesh network'

I don't think a mesh network is necessary for an ordinary home, especially with the high complexity of a mesh network.

Also going this route, one is forced to join the amazon network.

So over to you.

Bill

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

You just need to buy a cheap gigabit data switch, you'll most likely get one for less than £20 in a certain online store.

Keith