cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Message for KeithFrench

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Hi @KeithFrench ,

I was wondering if you could send me your WI-FI optimisation guide please. I am on Fibre 900 and regularly get speeds of 940 to 950 MB on my Ethernet connected computers, but on my laptop and surface using a Wi-Fi connection only get speeds of between 300MB and 450MB. 

I used to work in IT and therefore have knowledge in networking, but unfortunately my Wi-Fi knowledge is lacking.

Thanks,

Paul

Edited to add,

Sorry forgot to say, my laptop is Wi-Fi 6.

14 REPLIES 14

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 15

Hi Keith,

I've sent you a message with the screenshot. You're correct I do have two Netgear extenders in use because the Wi-Fi signal wasn't strong enough to reach the garage (car charger, that can only be connected via Wi-Fi) and shed (garden water feature smart plug). The Netgear unit that is connected to my switch is a XAV5201 and the two Wi-Fi extenders are both Netgear XWN5001 units. The Gateway eero is the one in the study on the 2nd floor.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 15

Hi Paul,

I have just started to have a quick look at this & first I need to have a look at exactly what APs you have. I can see the two eeros, but what are the MAC addresses of the gateway eero? That way I can identify which one is which. In the app, if you go to:-

Home > Gateway eero > Device information

Please can you get get me a screenshot of that page? It is probably best that you send this in a PM to me to preserve your privacy.

I can also see you have two Netgear extenders with the SSID the same as yours ending in _EXT & _ Ext1. What are the model numbers of these?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 15

Hi Keith,

No problem, I'm grateful for your help and time.  There's no hurry, I mostly use my desktop which is connected via Ethernet, but when I'm ill, I tend to use my laptop if I'm able.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 15

Hi @Woody179! 

I may not have much time today to look at this for you, but I should be able to tomorrow.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 5 of 15

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the guide which was very easy to understand, I've attached the snapshot and report zip.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 15

Thanks Keith, I'll get back to you shortly. 👍

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 15

Hi Paul,

No problem, the Pro 6 is a higher spec than the 6+ anyway. I just like to know what I am dealing with first.

Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you. I will send a PM to you that contains a link for my guide on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it.

If you are using Wi-Fi Scanner, then please attach the zip file to this thread. As soon as I have downloaded it, I will remove the attachment from your post, to preserve your privacy.

With all other analysers, please follow my instructions below.

Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

Keith

0 Likes

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 15

Sorry Keith, I got confused with the models, they are eero Pro 6 units.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 15

I am confused Paul, as TalkTalk to my knowledge, does not prove the eero 6+, only the eero 6 or the eero Pro 6 depending on the package you are on. Are you sure that they are eero 6+ units?

Keith

0 Likes

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 15

Hi Keith,

Both eero 6+ units were provided by TalkTalk, one eero unit is located  in the study, which is located at the middle of the house at the back on the 2nd floor and the other unit is in the living room, again at the back of the house, but at the house corner near to the outside wall. I do also have VOIP which is plugged into the study Netgear 1GB switch.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 15

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, please can I just confirm (it won't affect the level of help I am prepared to give) are these your own eero 6+ units or the TalkTalk-provided eero Pro 6 ones? Where roughly within the property are the two eeros? 

Keith

0 Likes

Woody179!
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 15

Hi Keith,

I have two eero 6+ routers set up and connected together via Ethernet. All the switches that I use for connections are 1GB.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

No problem @Woody179! which router do you have?

Keith

0 Likes