cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Loss of Landline Phone Service

asdfg11
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 44

The landline service to my property has been unavailable for two days and I need an appointment making for a visit from an Openreach engineer. There are a number of things for Openreach to consider before they despatch an engineer:

There has been no loss of, fibre provided, internet and television services.

The fault is most probably within the overhead copper wire that runs from a telegraph pole at the back of the property into a loft extension within the roof.

A similar problem experienced in July & August 2023 took one month to resolve. It would be helpful to the process this time if it were possible for the property owner to be provided with a contact number in order that they might speak directly with Openreach if for no other reason than to understand the likely date and time of any engineer’s visit and so ensure access to the property. It was only by chance that I was at the property on each occasion that Openreach visited in July/August ’23.

A key lesson from my previous experience was that any engineer visiting the property should be equipped and trained to deal with copper wire connections, for example they will need ladders capable of reaching the cable.  

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 41 of 44

Hi,

I received a text from Openreach on Friday Jan 26th saying that an engineer had been allocated to investigate the fault, that I wouldn’t need to be present at the property, and that the engineer “may” be in touch. An engineer arrived at 12.40pm on Tuesday Jan 30th just as I was driving away from the property. No-one from Openreach had contacted me beforehand. Fortunately, I saw him approaching and was able to stop long enough to allow him access to the house, which he needed to identify that the problem was external (associated with the telegraph pole), as well as allowing him access to the rear of the property. After that I had to leave. Whatever work was carried out has not resolved the problem. He did tell me that the line was not copper, but a copper/fibre hybrid.     

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 42 of 44

Hi asdfg11,

I've sent you a PM

Chris

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 43 of 44

Hi asdfg11,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Line test is passing, is the telephone line completely dead, no dial tone?

Chris

0 Likes