cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Severe Crackling

EKG62
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 30

I'm afraid I'm unable to hear anything on my landline phone due to severe crackling.  The phone is unusable.  I've had  something like this recently but it's much worse now.  Rain seems to make things worse.  My internet is also intermittent at times.  I've done the checks suggested elsewhere with no result.  The crackle starts as I pick the handset up even with a different handset.  The crackle is on incoming as well as outgoing calls.  I think it must be the external line.  Please help.

Internet user
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

Hello,

I'm really glad to hear that and thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

EKG62
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 30

Morning Michelle,  Many thanks for sorting this.  The line sounds very clear now.  All seems well.

Internet user
0 Likes

Message 3 of 30

Morning,

We've received an update to advise that Openreach have resolved a fault on the line. I've re-run the line test again now which is also clear. How is the voice service, has the crackle/noise now been resolved?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 30

Morning,

Thank you. The line test is now detecting a possible external line fault so I've raised this over to Openreach to complete an external line investigation first. We'll continue to monitor for updates and will post back as soon as we receive an update on this. No engineer visit to the property is required just yet.

Thanks

0 Likes

EKG62
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 30

New PM for you Debbie.  Apologies for my misunderstanding.

Internet user

EKG62
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 30

Hopefully all OK now.  See PM.

Thanks

Internet user
0 Likes

Message 7 of 30

Hi EKG62

I've replied to your PM. Once we have confirmed security then I can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

EKG62
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 30

I've replied to the PM.  Hopefully you have everything to progress with.  

Thanks

Internet user
0 Likes

Message 9 of 30

Hi EKG62

I'm just sending you another Private Message.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

Yes please Debbie.

Thanks

Internet user

Message 11 of 30

Hi EKG62

Thanks for your reply. Would you like us to arrange the engineer visit?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30

Apologies - I had to go out.  Back now.

Yes - crackling with both phones and with or without the filter on the test socket.  Not sure how to test the router but internet connection seems OK although I did have some intermittent problem a few days ago.

Internet user
0 Likes

Message 13 of 30

Hi,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 30

Hi,

Thanks. Just to confirm, the crackling is present with both phones and with no other equipment, including the router connected to the line? Did you also try with and without the microfilter?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 30

Thanks.  I've found the socket inside the NTE5 and plugged in.  I still have crackling on the line I'm afraid.  

Internet user
0 Likes

Message 16 of 30

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. An NTE5 should have a removable faceplate. I'd recommend removing the front plate very gently as there may be wires attached to the other side of the faceplate.

Thanks

0 Likes

EKG62
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 30

It's the NTE 5 

Internet user
0 Likes

Message 18 of 30

Hi,

Ok thanks. Could you have a look at the below Help Article and confirm which main socket you have please.

Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

0 Likes

EKG62
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 30

Thanks.  As far as I know there is just one socket that everything is plugged into.  Am I allowed to take the faceplate off to have a look inside?

Internet user
0 Likes

Message 20 of 30

Hello,

Openreach maintain the line up to the test socket. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes