cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

VOIP OVER WIFI

nickmphillips
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

I'm having fibre 150 installed next week and moving over to VOIP. Can I buy a VOIP phone that wirelessly connects directly to the eero router using WIFI, or do I have to have a base station directly plugged into the router? I was hoping the VOIP phone could just be another device in the router network.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

No problem. Sorry if I over complicated it in my first few posts. It's possible that things may change in the future but for now that's the set up we provide. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

nickmphillips
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 14

OK, thanks for clarify that. Much appreciated. Very disappointed in the tech though!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi,

Can I buy a VOIP phone that wirelessly connects directly to the eero router using WIFI, or do I have to have a base station directly plugged into the router? 

If you are using the eero router and have signed up for a VOIP service with us then the only way the VOIP connection will work is if you connect the phone to the DVA which will also be sent out prior to the installation. You can connect a regular corded or cordless handset but the handset can only be connected via the DVA. It's not possible to buy a different handset to connect to the eero with no DVA connected.

Michelle

0 Likes

nickmphillips
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 14

Apologies, but I'm really confused now.  Can I achieve what I described in my initial question i.e. option 5. From the responses, I'm picking up a yes and a no! If yes, I was wondering if anyone knows what specific phones out they're might do the job and how you'd describe them so I could search for and buy the correct one, and will it work with the voice package I'm going to get with TalkTalk next week?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Yes that's correct. With the eero (and wifi hub 2) it's only possible to connect a corded or cordless phone not a handset that already has a built in VOIP service.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi, I'd envisaged you'd have a number of options available:

1. Analogue phone (with cord) connected to DVA.

2. Cordless analogue phone whose base station is connected to DVA.

3. Digital phone plugged directly into router (no DVA)

4. Cordless digital phone whose base station is plugged directly into router. (NO DVA)

5. Digital phone (presumably cordless) connecting to the  router over WIFI as another device on network. This was what my initial question was asking about. But, it seems 3 and 4 aren't avaliable either from your earlier responses. 

Message 7 of 14

Do you mean a cordless handset?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

OK, thank you for your time. I'm surprised though you can't use a digital phone in this day and age. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi,

Yes you would just connect your current handset via the voice port on the wifi hub 2 or via the DVA which connects to the eero.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

So, you can only use 'legacy' analogue phones with your eero router?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi again,

As far as I am aware you wouldn't be able to connect a VOIP phone to the eero. The phone would need to be connected via the DVA. The VOIP service we offer is provided via the Wifi Hub 2 or the eero and DVA only. We can't support 3rd party VOIP devices.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Why would I need a DVA if I have a digital dect phone? I'm confused.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hello,

Thanks for your post. No this wouldn't work with our service. The VOIP service we provide is delivered the DVA (Digital Voice Adapter) and the eero device.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes